Talk

Advanced search

Dislike of Finger Food - help!

(12 Posts)
Clairencharlie Fri 28-Aug-09 17:17:43

I have a 10 month old baby boy and despite placing a small amount of finger food on his high chair everyday he shows no interest in putting it in his mouth. He tends to play with it and fling it over the side as if it is a toy or game. He is a very good eater and will happily eat a mountain of lumpy food but it has to be off the spoon.

He is currently settling into nursery and they have said that I must try and encourage him more but I am drawing a blank.

Has anyone and the same problem or got any suggestions?

Thanks!

claw3 Fri 28-Aug-09 17:29:31

I had exactly the same problem with all of mine,i think its pretty common. He is discovering new found skills all the time and throwing things is one of them!

Do you give him finger foods in between meals or after? If after meals or in between meals, he might be more intersted in playing with it because he is simply not hungry.

Clairencharlie Fri 28-Aug-09 19:29:53

Thanks for coming back to me. No, I try to introduce it at the start but still no good.

Very frustrating but I don't want to put him off his food/high chair altogether...

claw3 Fri 28-Aug-09 19:38:08

How about you and him share the food ie you hold it and have a bite, then offer him a bite, bit of a game with lots of mmmmm noises, until he gets the hang of it?

GreenPenguin Sat 29-Aug-09 08:49:43

Thought mine was the only one with the javelin/shot put skills at meal times. Ever had a juice cup hit you in the face? Joy!

GreenPenguin Sat 29-Aug-09 08:53:36

Sorry - some more constructive comment: We found that everything went off the side at some point - whether or not he liked it - but ESPECIALLY if he was too tired OR if he had got up too recently. So - as claw3 said, it may not be a dislike, as much as asserting some authority, esp if in a stroppy or playful mood. We've had this for 5-6 months and now a bit better. If you can, try alternating the location: kitchen/lounge? for a change of scene.

claw3 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:00:19

Bit of an after thought, its been a long time since mine were that age!

I seem to remember mine found the high chair pretty boring and couldnt wait to get out of it and used to prefer finger food on the tray of their walkers. If you dont mind a bit of mess, you could give that a try.

sally78 Sat 29-Aug-09 10:10:40

Just keep putting it there and he will one day eat it. I have put grapes on my LO plate for about 8 months, never touched them then yesterday eat them all and pointed for more!

Mamulik Sat 29-Aug-09 11:28:24

You need to show him what to do, place piece of food in your mouth so he could see, and than give piece of food to him and gently push towards his mouse. So he will learn from you.

Clairencharlie Sat 29-Aug-09 12:28:14

Thanks everyone. I will try the walker idea as he does get fighty in his chair so that could the problem. I've tried showing him what to do and he is happy to pick it up and put it in my mouth but the other way around he just clamps shut his mouth and turns his head away... I guess I'll just keep perservering. good to know he isn't the only one though.

MrsMattie Sat 29-Aug-09 12:30:13

I wouldnt worry.

My Ds never much liked finger food. He was probably 2 yrs old-ish before he really liked picking up bits of food and putting them in his mouth with no help. He has traditionally been quite a fussy child. He didn't like 'lumps' for a long time, either.

He's 4.5 yrs old now and has no issues with food.

calypsoblue Sat 29-Aug-09 12:48:27

Its messy but have you tried giving him ketchup,water or something to dip his food in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now