Talk

Advanced search

Some (wobbly) teeth questions

(12 Posts)
unluckyfriedkitten Fri 28-Aug-09 12:57:37

My 5 year old announced that one of teeth hurt this morning as DH was helping him brushing them. Turns out his left top front tooth is wobbling. He's a PFB so this is new territory for us.

1. Is this about the right age for the milk teeth to start falling out?
2. Any tips for easing pain/uncomfortable feeling for him as he seems to not want to eat anything hard like carrots/apples (two of his fave foods normally)?
2. Anything I need to look out for when the tooth eventually falls out? (We don't have a dentist atm as ours went private angry)
3. What's the going rate for the tooth fairy?

Ta muchly

Geocentric Fri 28-Aug-09 13:01:20

My DS lost his first at 5 and a half. From 5 on is normal, nowadays. He's still losing 'em over a year later - I cut hard things like carrots and apples into easily bitten chunks that he can manage without his front lot of teeth (currently has 3 new ones and 4 waiting to grow back).

Geocentric Fri 28-Aug-09 13:03:47

BTW, you do have to check that the tooth falls out properly - my niece has this thing where her new tooth was growing slightly "off track" and not pushing the old one out properly; for a while she had both teeth and then had the milk tooth removed to clear the way.

jessia Fri 28-Aug-09 13:05:43

All the below is purely from our own very limited experience:
1. Yes, entirely normal. My DD (5.10) has lost 2 and has 3 more wobblers.
2. We cut crunchy/hard things up for her if she's having trouble, so she pop them further in, as molars can still crush.
2. Our dentist said adult teeth are gen. less "white" than baby teeth, so not to worry if they don't look quite as "clean" at first. I have notices that the gum around the wobbly tooth is a little prone to bleeding - don't know if that's normal but am not too worried.
3. Can't help, sorry, unless you live in Poland grin. But you also need to decide if the TF is going to be coming for that very first special one only, or for every one that falls out, and adjust accordingly.

Geocentric Fri 28-Aug-09 13:08:13

Not in UK either re Tooth Fairy grin
We do 1 pice local currency per year (he got 5 coins when he was 5, now he gets 6 - enough to buy a comic book or some stickes for album).

Geocentric Fri 28-Aug-09 13:08:44

1 piece, rather! blush

unluckyfriedkitten Fri 28-Aug-09 13:15:45

Thanks for info so far...good to know it's about the right time. Shall look out for it falling our properly, thanks Geocentric.

Will have to chat with DH about TF...but I think we will probably give something for every tooth.

unluckyfriedkitten Fri 28-Aug-09 13:16:09

falling out

Jbck Fri 28-Aug-09 13:18:24

We got DD1 a special tooth fairy coin for her first one & she treasures it. Her wee friends were quite jealous. It's an old sixpence on a card with a pic of the 'fairy'. Now she gets a pound each time.

She did say the other day that there is no tooth fairy it's just your Mum & Dad but she wwaited till her current 2 wobbly ones came out. grin

IdrisTheDragon Fri 28-Aug-09 13:20:28

DS is 5.9 and has his first wobbly tooth. I think the tooth fairy will be more generous for first tooth and then not as much for the other 19 grin

YorkshireRose Fri 28-Aug-09 13:23:26

My DS lost 1st tooth just after 5th birthday - gave me a bit of a shock as I hadn't been expecting it until he was about 6 so at first thought he had been smacked in the mouth grin

Don't worry if they bleed a bit when they fall out, this is normal (especially if dc has been pulling at it to hasten reward from tooth fairy!)

We give £1 per tooth (though DD age 9 has been trying to negotiate a rise!). My DD also writes long letters to TF which i have to write replies to!

Matildathebrave Fri 28-Aug-09 15:38:22

My son lost his first tooth at four and now age six has lost 7 teeth.

All perfectly normal.

He had no trouble eating while having wobbly teeth.

Tooth Fairy leaves £1 per tooth.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now