Talk

Advanced search

Forgetful 9 year old?

(8 Posts)
jinkers Thu 27-Aug-09 13:10:02

My 9 year old DS is incredibly careless with his possessions and is getting more so instead of improving with age- school here went back last Wednesday and he has so far lost/forgotten- jumper, tie, jacket (twice),schoolbag, school shoes and a library book as well as numerous other things at home. I've tried rewards, punishments (e g DS being taken away for a day if he loses things) but nothing is working, and I'm literally at screaming point- he just doesn't seem bothered. Does anyone have any bright ideas about how to make him a bit more responsible for his belongings? I know we all lose/forget things sometimes but he is driving me to despair (and bankruptcy)!

random Thu 27-Aug-09 13:12:20

Sorry no advice my ds is the same ..hes 16 now and has not improved with age

MadreInglese Thu 27-Aug-09 13:13:57

IIRC there is some sort of research that shows that 9-12 year olds become scattier, something to do with hormones or brain development, I can't quite remember

ZZZenAgain Thu 27-Aug-09 13:20:49

my dd is the same, loses everything, never knows where she has put anything. Often has a vacant look as if she's off with the fairies

Drives me nuts

MadreInglese Thu 27-Aug-09 13:22:37

DD has been like this since about age 9 and now at 11.5 she does seem to be getting a bit better

<fingers crossed it keeps improving!>

jinkers Thu 27-Aug-09 13:39:10

If nothing else I now know I'm not alone! All his friends seem alarmingly organised (maybe their mums are just scarier than me!). Will hold out for him improving by 11, but suspect he might be like this for longer. Thanks.

mrshibbins Thu 27-Aug-09 17:40:13

" ...research that shows that 9-12 year olds become scattier ..."

OMG you mean it's going to get worse??? mine is only just 8 and i swear she has a memory like a subnormal goldfish...

mathanxiety Fri 28-Aug-09 05:31:59

They can't seem to keep all the balls in the air at the one time at all. I've experienced this with three DC's so far. I don't think you can really do anything about it -- maybe make them pay their own library fines and replace affordable things if they have pocket money. Keep personal possessions to a minimum and keep rooms as clutter-free as possible so it's easier to find misplaced items (and good luck). It gets better at 14ish, but untidyness rears its ugly head there, esp for girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now