Talk

Advanced search

Normal length of time for toddler to get over jealousy over newborn baby brother??

(5 Posts)
naturopath Wed 26-Aug-09 15:24:08

Please don't say a lifetime!

I mean, how long do you think I can expect the irrational tantrums, crying at bedtime, waking in the middle of the night and coming into mummy's bed, the "no baby!" comments..

He is generally lovely to his little brother, but the jealousy seems to come out at other times (when he;s tired / when time with the baby encroaches on time with him - e.g. story time before bed and the baby is screaming for a feed)..

Or any tips as to how I can best manage this phase?

Thanks!

BubbaAndBump Wed 26-Aug-09 15:32:42

How old is he? Could these be normal toddler tantrums with a particular focal point being his little brother? The logistics of two is tough - I shifted their routines a bit (i.e. story time came before milk, then DD1 had her milk while I fed DD2 etc etc). Also no shame in a bit of CBeebies to help you out in the meantime.

naturopath Wed 26-Aug-09 15:36:27

He's 26 months. Am already using Night GArden grin and trying to juggle - but sometimes baby doesn't do things as planned! He's been asleep most of today so I guess will probably be up and awake and ready for three feeds in a row at precisely ds1's bedtime! Dh is often still at work at that time, so it's usually just me here.

BubbaAndBump Wed 26-Aug-09 15:43:55

26 months is perfect toddler tantrum age (mine's now 27mnths) . It would make life easier if children followed our schedules - but when they don't, then trying to box a little bit clever is the only way. Trying to do really good toddler things together with him when baby's asleep, then setting him up with puzzles (or whatever floats his toy boat) for when baby's about to wake. Giving him special big boy time and telling him you understand how hard it must be to share his mummy with DS2 (and all that kind of namby pamby stuff!). Getting him into PJs early etc It's tough

BubbaAndBump Wed 26-Aug-09 15:44:40

(posted too quickly) but it does get easier - as baby's routine starts to kick in a bit etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now