Talk

Advanced search

Help - 2 yr old bites himself when he gets frustrated / angry how do I stop it?

(14 Posts)
doobedoo Tue 25-Aug-09 23:04:57

My 2 yr old boy has started to bite himself on the wrist whenever he gets frustrated or upset instead of throwing himself to the ground and having a tantrum.

It's horrible - he makes such a mess of his little arm and I am completely at a loss as what to do to discourage it.

Has anyone ever had a little one who does anything similar?

Any advice welcome

Thank you

naturopath Tue 25-Aug-09 23:16:28

Mine does similar - used to throw himself on ground and bang head, now bites whatever is around - himself, clothes, chair - whatever. Not sure how to deal with it tbh

doobedoo Tue 25-Aug-09 23:21:04

Sounds the same!
What the hell do we do?
His nursery seem a bit concerned but I am at a loss sad
How old it yours?

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 25-Aug-09 23:21:29

What do you do when he starts?

IME a toddler switches on v v fast to what will get an INSTANT response from you.

As with all things toddler related, if you want to discourage that particular behaviour, ignore ignore ignore.

Distract the child if you can see that a blowout is imminent.

Good luck

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:25:50

Well, is it poss he is teething? I mean abck molars etc. Mine seems to have a strop then he will bite something, maybe his hand...it might be tooth pain making him upset in the first place iyswim?

Mine also pulls at his fingers when upset. I keep saying they won't come off, you know darling sad

doobedoo Tue 25-Aug-09 23:26:55

Yes I have been ignoring and attempting to distract but he seems to do it more - like he wants me to react to it, he just bites harder and he is very hard to distract out of it.
I have ended up holding his arm away from him and telling him no, then when he has calmed down I have tried to show him his arm and say no again.

doobedoo Tue 25-Aug-09 23:28:04

could be his back teeth - they haven't appeared yet so perhaps they are on the way

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:30:55

Dont worry. They just don't 'get' no at the moment I think...if hes anything like mine!

He's very much 'of the moment' so no tellings off or anything really goes in.
I think distract, cuddle, give him something he'll love to take him back to cheerfulness - and maybe some calpol if it's hurty toothy smile

He'll stop once he is over this patch, I bet. Nothing lasts long at this age. Don't worry.

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:32:18

Biting harder sounds v much like he wants to tell you it hurts? Which would make sense.

Toothache very hard to explain for a toddler.

doobedoo Tue 25-Aug-09 23:36:32

Thank you
Tbh I was hoping someone would say the 'its just a phase' thing smile
I hope so
If he starts it again in the morning like he did today (lots) then I'll give him a bit of calpol and see if the day goes easier
It would make sense if it was his teeth.

foxycat Wed 26-Aug-09 08:57:30

My DS, 23 months, when through a phase of doing this when frustrated or upset and it was horrible. He seems to have stopped now though. I just tried to ignore and it just eventually stopped.

Unfortunately he has now started hitting himself ccassionally when cross instead!

naturopath Wed 26-Aug-09 15:16:57

my ds's back tooth is def coming through - he does keep saying "tooth hurt".. he also wants to see the dentist because his leg hurts hmm HAve been giving him calpol the last couple of nights. Also has a new baby brother, so that could be why..
Starting nursery in Sept. so a bit worried (he's 2.2).

I either ignore / give a cuddle / tell him that was naughty and say sorry, depending on the circumstances. Sometimes I do think he's being naughty (or at least not expressing himself in the most productive way) and other times I think it might be becuase of the teething, in which case calpol and a cuddle seem to work.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 27-Aug-09 08:17:23

My 17mth Dd does this, then looks at her finger and cries bless

doobedoo Mon 31-Aug-09 21:29:42

Thank you for the replies.
He seems to have stopped doing it this last week - must have just been a phase!
No sign of a back tooth yet though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now