Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for a very nearly 8 yr old girl to have tantrums?

(11 Posts)
3monkeys Tue 25-Aug-09 18:44:10

DD who will be 8 next month is currently still having her 2nd tantrum in 2 days. I am totally at the end of my tether. This tonight has lasted 1.5 hours so far

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 19:21:35

My DS had them until later than 8yrs. Totally ignore it-don't enter into any dialogue or discussion, remove yourself to a different room. Discuss when she has finished. Ask her what it was all about, give strategies for alternative ways of handling disapointment. DS eventually gave up because he realised how babyish it was and he was fed up with discussing it-he was so embarrassed afterwards that he wanted to forget it. I threatened to record him but never did-I think it might have been a good idea to play back later.

Hulababy Tue 25-Aug-09 19:23:46

Some still do I am afraid. I know at least two of DD's friends this age do.

Ignore ignore ignore
And don't give in

3monkeys Tue 25-Aug-09 20:10:40

Thankyou. It just seems so ridiculous when the rest of the time she's so grown up. Tonight she had a strop over something minor and her dad refused to take her to the football with her brother. It turns out she'd told everyone today she was going and would be embarassed tomorrow

I read your other thread with envy Hulababy. I wish DD and her friends would play quietly like that. Last night her and her friend were in the paddling pool shrieking with water guns!!

Mamulik Tue 25-Aug-09 20:15:17

I dont think that depends on age, its more like character or attention seeking.

Hulababy Tue 25-Aug-09 20:18:02

Oh, DD will do the all noisy, running about outside play too, especially when water is involved. But, have to admit, I do like the quiet play that involves me doing nothing!

Spacehoppa Tue 25-Aug-09 20:23:07

Mamulik is right. I still try to get the odd tantrum in myself, just to keep my hand in, as it were.

3monkeys Tue 25-Aug-09 20:56:02

It's as if she gets in a tizz and doesn't know how to stop. I keep my cool for so long and then end up having a tantrum myself! Tonight she kept going for almost 2 hours and then once DH and DS1 had gone, she stopped. I think it is mostly her character, she is a glass half empty kind of girl

mrshibbins Tue 25-Aug-09 22:05:08

(sigh) it's pretty much daily here with dd 8 I am starting to feel that she thrives on it ... I try so hard to ignore but sometimes when I am tired or hormonal- like tonight - I end up losing it too and shouting. I hate it

HerBeatitude Tue 25-Aug-09 22:06:58

I hope so, otherwise my DD is a freak. grin

leisurely Wed 26-Aug-09 08:19:06

My 8.3 daughter also has tantrums. She is an only child and gets, probably far too much attention. She wouldn't get out of bed this morning because 'I know I won't be allowed to sit on the sofa at school'. She went back yesterday and apparently her teacher, rightly, said that only four people were allowed to sit on the sofa. Health and safety issues I imagine. I tried to reason with her, explained that if she didn't get up she wouldn't get to school and then there wasn't a chance that she'd get to sit on the sofa. This was all in nice mummy voice. After about 10 minutes of her whining, whinging and generally being a little shit, I became horror mum and she had no alternative but to get up. These, albeit short, tantrums happen at least daily,sometimes twice or thrice and they are very wearing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now