Talk

Advanced search

Disconcerting head banging, only 11mths so I'm sure he is not into heavy rock!

(8 Posts)
Lozza70 Tue 25-Aug-09 16:47:59

Anyone else experienced this? DS sits with his back to something hard, wall, door, table fridge etc. and deliberately bangs the back of his head on it.hmm This can happen a couple of times a day. Please come and reassure me!

overthemill Tue 25-Aug-09 17:22:35

um well not sure i can reassure you but i am told i used to do this. if that helps at all. i suggest ringing your HV if she is nice

Lozza70 Wed 26-Aug-09 15:03:39

bounce

midnightexpress Wed 26-Aug-09 15:08:37

DS2 did this for a while - he was a wee bit older - maybe about 18 months I think, but it was a phase and passed fairly quickly. I think with him it was to do with frustration - ds1 is v articulate and I think ds2, who is quite close in age to ds1, wanted to get his point across too. He's a bit of a loon now, but I think it's probably genetic (DP's side, of course) rather than the result of any head-banging.

gallery Wed 26-Aug-09 15:55:14

My niece used to do this, same age. My eldest did it to the cot to get to sleep, I was worried but he seemed to like the rhythm. My youngest does what yours does. he has been doing for about 6 months. He is now 19months. It has developed on and he has given me a bloody nose as he throws his head when he has a tantrum. I would not be worried (I am more worried about protecting myself these days!). He no longer bangs his head on floor or roads having realised it hurts. He has started kicking his legs instead. I see lots of other normal behaviour signs in my little one and think for him this is usually temper related. With the other one, it seemed a comfort thing. With my niece, she did it for attention during childminding mommmy handover

midnightexpress Wed 26-Aug-09 15:56:40

Yes, should have added, I think it's usually fairly self-limiting - they do it for a while and then figure out that it hurts, and then they stop.

notpickedanameyet Wed 26-Aug-09 19:43:24

Look into cranial osteotherapy. my ds did this and she told me it was because he had bad headache and was trying to relieve it.
A few sessions later he stopped doing it.

Boodlerpoop Wed 26-Aug-09 21:10:55

My brother used to do this, my Mum called it 'dunting'...but he seemed like he used to enjoy it? My opinion don't think it's anything serious..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now