(22 Posts)
theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 13:27:07

Message withdrawn

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 14:03:21

Message withdrawn

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 15:45:42

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Tue 25-Aug-09 15:56:13

I don't want to say your DD is fine, but I've had this with all my DDs.

The things I've said to myself are:

1. They don't get ill
2. They are developing normally
3. They have bags of energy
4. They have plenty of fat under their skin - they don't look scrawny (although, having said that, they have all gone through periods of looking scrawny)

Weight is only one sign of a baby thriving.

Also, IME, young walkers slow down on weight gain much earlier.

Are you and your DH petite? If so, then she's likely to be petite too. Birth weight isn't perfect - mine have all been born big.

Your 11m old weighs more than my 11m old - mine only weighs 17.9lb, but I can tell you there is nothing wrong with her at all.

My advice would be to stop getting her weighed and just look at all the other signs.

What would a dr do anyway? The only thing they can do is monitor her (which I imagine you'd be doing yourself anyway) and/or give growth hormones - would you want her to have growth hormones?

All my three oldest are on the small side of average, but very healthy now they're grown up and show no ill effects of not fitting the HV's ideal charts as babies. DD4 obviously too young to tell at the moment!

Other thing to bear in mind is that, unless your HV is using the new WHO charts, then the data are based on loads of studies done on babies that are formula fed as well as breastfed, and these show a very different weight gain pattern to bfed babies.

It is likely that bfed, BLWd babies show a more natural weight-gain pattern, but we're not used to it so it looks alarming. It's likely that it's not naturally normal to put on weight as quickly as most babies in our culture do. Plot her weight on the WHO charts and see what they say about it.

But apart from that, in the absence of any other worrying signs, if it were me, I'd ignore the weight and stop getting it checked. Ask your HVs what they are actually worried about, and what could possibly be done about it. Very often they're just so obsessed with their bloody charts, that they just can't cope if babies don't fit the lines and don't actually have an answer.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 25-Aug-09 16:02:40

Bumping for you, I know some babies eat well some days and just snack on others...Does she seem well to you?

Between 9th and 25th Centile is still totally within normal range, she may have have been born bigger and is now levelling out to where she belongs, IYKWIM.
Would you be worried if you hadn't had her weighed and the HV's weren't flapping?

My DD is under/around 2nd centile for weight, and similar for height, she is tiny and slim, but not bony and eats well - she is well. My DS is approx 50th centile for length, 9th for weight. He's 8mo, BF, and BLW. Most days he eats like it's going out of fashion, he's just slim.

If the HV's are making you worry, ask for a referral to a paed for review - every chance he will be scooted out of the door with a clean bill of health and it will put your mind at rest, hth.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 25-Aug-09 16:03:21

OOps mixed up my he's and she's thereblush

FlamingoBingo Tue 25-Aug-09 16:07:52

Blimey she's fine!!

What are your HV's worrying about?

Just made myself feel happier about my DD too smile

systemsaddict Tue 25-Aug-09 16:08:08

My 91st centile at birth son was down to 9th-25th centile by a year old. HV just said he was 'following his own line' and not to worry, as long as he was active and looked healthy enough. I don't bother weighing my year old daughter now, on that basis!

Harimosmummy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:08:58

My DS was 6lbs 8Oz and didn't put on weight quickly, was very jaundiced at birth etc.

Sat around the bottom of the chart for about the first 8 months.

But he was and is perfectly healthy.

He has gained height more quickly than weight. So he still looks 'skinny' but then his dad's pretty skinny too! grin

Agree with the poster who said when a child strts walking, they burn calories like there is no tomorrow.

Also agree with Moaning minnie... Don't stand just to take him back for weigh in after weigh in - he's not preparing for a boxing match!!! If they have a genuine concern, then ask for a referal. You'll be out of there in no time feeling much better.

HM x

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 19:59:54

Message withdrawn

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 20:04:46

Message withdrawn

Mamulik Tue 25-Aug-09 20:18:59

she is not starving so dont worry, may be her teeths troubling her?

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 21:08:11

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Tue 25-Aug-09 21:16:42

Ok, ignore your weight and think about your and your DH's natural build. Your DH is clearly not a giant, and you are short. Your babies are therefore likely to be small as they grow up.

Lots of babies are born big and need to catch-down the same as some are born small and need to catch up.

What would happen if you stopped taking her to be checked over?

I bet a GP would say there was nothing wrong with her - what's to stop you taking her yourself? You don't need to be referred by a HV and then you'd have justification to stop getting her weighed by the HVs.

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 25-Aug-09 21:35:37

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Wed 26-Aug-09 08:54:32

If it were me, I have to say I'd stop going. What's the point of the stress of it? There is no law saying you have to see a HV. If they ring you to ask you why you haven't been, just say you were worried and didn't like having to keep taking her to be weighed so took her to the GP who said she was fine (after you've done that of course!). So you're not going to bring her to be weighed again unless you have a specific worry.

And then make sure you have lots of yummy high-calorie things for her to eat like cheese etc. if you're still worried.

But, like I say, she's larger than my very healthy 11m old!

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Wed 26-Aug-09 09:29:57

Message withdrawn

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Wed 26-Aug-09 11:40:01

Message withdrawn

FlamingoBingo Wed 26-Aug-09 18:03:45

Yay! Keep us posted - I'm always interested in how other women's small children turn out!

makedoandmend Wed 26-Aug-09 21:10:11

Could someone post the link to the new WHO charts - the link above doesn't work for me and I've tried googling.

Thanks

mummytowillow Wed 26-Aug-09 22:06:33

My daughter is two and only weighs 22lbs! She has been on the 9th centile since about 3 months old! The HV used to raise their eyebrows, but I wasn't told to give her cream etc, its just the way she is!

She sounds fine to me, hope the referral goes OK.

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Fri 28-Aug-09 19:55:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now