Talk

Advanced search

Strange speech development in toddler

(14 Posts)
FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 10:56:40

This is really odd and something I haven't encountered before - has anyone else's child done it?

Ds2 is just over 2, and has quite a few littlewords now - but the way he learns them is weird.

He'll start off with the last consonant - like if it's 'milk' he'll call it 'k' (as in phonics, so literally just the 'k' sound)

then gradulally it'll progress to 'ilk' then finally 'morky' hmm

but he does get there.

We often have entire sentences composed of phonic consonants!!

'Mummy where's k? t s mummy! T S!!!!'

No idea what that sentence means btw smile

lljkk Tue 25-Aug-09 12:03:23

If he gets there eventually then I really wouldn't worry about it.
DS-5yo has significant speech delay; in our exercise work, he is better at making the correct sounds at the ends of words than at the start. Maybe this is generally true of speech, hence why your child first learns the end sounds.

ICANDOTHAT Tue 25-Aug-09 14:49:29

FlightHattendent I read the last bit of that sentence as "here it is Mummy, here it is !!" No expert by the way, just a ds2 who also had a moderate speech delay

PrettyCandles Tue 25-Aug-09 14:55:49

Sounds quite normal to me. At that age ds1 could speak in sentences and had a fantastic vocabulary, but nobody could understand him because he only spoke a part of each word. Even I could only understand about 80% of what he said. Like your ds he would start with one sound (usually a vowel sound) from a word, and build on it over the weeks or months.

My mum tells us that for a long time my brother only ever said the first syllable of any word.

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 17:28:52

Oh I am reassured!! Thankyou ladies.

It is so funny when he does it. He's been trying to say 'fish' and it's just 'sh', 'head' is 'd' etc etc.

Ds1 was v clear at this age, prob had about 10x the vocab of ds2, and mainly he could say the whole word - but he used to make some up as well smile

they are all so different.

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 17:29:46

Ican you may be right - I hadn't thought of it, there are so many words ending T and S, it all depends on context I suppose! Thanks x

Scottie22 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:11:30

My dd is also developing her speech in a strange kind of way too - she puts a 'd' sound into a lot of her words and into sentences so 'Can I'd have that one?' so her words aren't entirely clear either. She's getting there too - albeit much slower than my ds at the same age.
We do see a SLT who said that often children master the end of word sounds before the beginning of the word and that consonant cluster sounds may take until age 3/4 to develop.

FlightHattendant Tue 25-Aug-09 23:11:02

Scottie, may I ask how old she is? I am wondering now if ds does need some help.

Scottie22 Wed 26-Aug-09 08:44:56

My dd is nearly 27 months but we only have SALT because she has other issues with her motor skills. Have you discussed with HV? I got referred through our HV although had to push for it as she thought dd was doing ok with her speech!

FlightHattendant Wed 26-Aug-09 09:39:09

Thankyou...well, haven't seen HV for ages now, since she said he was fine!! (I was worried as he didn't point till he was almost 2)
I will probably just wing it. He's getting a new actual word most days now, just a bit slower than his big bro was smile

Thanks for your help x

PrettyCandles Wed 26-Aug-09 13:20:56

They are so varied - ds1 at 24m could speak sentences, have logical discussions, understood abstract concepts, but was barely comprehendable because his speech was so unclear. OTOH ds2 at 24m was just about begining to string a few words together, understood much less, and couldn't managea conversation, yet his speech was incredibly clear.

It's very difficult not to judge your subsequent children by the standards of your first. I was terribly worried about ds2's vocabulary and understanding, yet it neve occurred to me to worry about ds1's unclear speech.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 26-Aug-09 15:11:38

Flight has your ds had a hearing test? Do you think he is hearing ok?

Some sounds (e.g. s,f) are higher frequency than others and so, sometimes children miss them out of words as they don't hear them.

May not be anything to do with it, of course!

FlightHattendant Wed 26-Aug-09 15:21:50

Blimey, I will get him done then. I did wonder after he had measles/ear infection at 10mo.
Thanks for the tip.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 26-Aug-09 15:55:42

If you have not noticed anything amiss, he's probably fine but worth checking anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now