Talk

Advanced search

Thumb sucking

(7 Posts)
cahu Tue 25-Aug-09 08:12:37

Has anyone got any idea how to stop 12 year old DD sucking her thumb. She is desperate to stop but has been doing it so long that she cant break the habit?

mrshibbins Tue 25-Aug-09 08:26:47

i broke my (at the time) 7 yr old's habit by explaining that if she didn't stop
- it would make her new front teeth stick out like bugs bunny
- that her thumbnail would become deformed
- that it made her look like a terrible baby ...

harsh, but it worked!

otherwise you can get disgusting tasting but harmless stuff you can paint on the nail from the chemist.

eleanorsmum Tue 25-Aug-09 08:35:34

google thumb guard. Plastic device worn over thumb stops you being able to make suction which gives comfort. Bought one for dd now age 5 and it worked for the daytime, didn't have the heart to do it at night yet! Not cheap but def works! comes in diff colours with diff coloured braclets to hold in place. Good luck!

eleanorsmum Tue 25-Aug-09 08:36:23

here

Berrie Tue 25-Aug-09 08:37:46

I still suck mine, am 37 grinmy teeth don't stick out.

cahu Tue 25-Aug-09 08:55:08

Thanks for all your suggestions. Have been telling her she will get sticky out teeth since she was tiny but now she is 12, they look ok but dont align properly and will probably need a brace at her next dental check up.

weaselbudge Fri 28-Aug-09 19:06:06

I sucked my thumb until 12 and it did give me sticky out teeth - but when i got a brace it acted as a thumb guard and so i stopped! wish they had been around in my day - definitely go with eleanorsmum's suggestion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now