Talk

Advanced search

So nervous watching dd2's attempts to crawl. Talk sense to me please.

(6 Posts)
suiledonn Mon 24-Aug-09 13:00:03

DD2 is 9 months old. She loves being on the floor and is shuffling along on her bum and practicing on all fours. She is really mobile and just wants to go.

The problem is I am really nervous about everything (always have been) but when dd1 was at this stage we lived in a house with really thick carpet so I didn't worry so much about her bumping her head or falling on her face.

She can't really hurt herself too badly if she occasionally falls back and bumps her head, can she? She can sit for ages but every now and then her balance goes and she falls. I find myself having to sit with her all the time and the house is in a state.

I really feel I am holding her back

Jackstini Mon 24-Aug-09 13:03:01

2 words - cushions & rugs - they are a Godsend! Easily moveable from room to room.
This stage won't last for long - you will then be onto following her round while she starts pulling herself up! (per me and my ds this week)grin

AMumInScotland Mon 24-Aug-09 13:03:58

If she bumps her head on a flat surface from that distance, I don't think it's going to do any harm, though it might hurt and certainly startle her. The thing you need to watch for is sharp hard corners - things that would hit her all on one small area, which would be more likely to do harm. But babies have been learning to crawl for a long time - they're not that fragile.

fishflange Mon 24-Aug-09 13:07:03

She'll be fine. Deep breath and let go.
My precious newborn would have had a crash helmet I was so neurotic. Dd2 is a complete stunt baby and at 11 month has survived all sorts of falls - on laminate floor.

dinkystinky Mon 24-Aug-09 13:08:57

I know how you feel - DS2 is 6 months and doing the all fours thing so wont be long till he's off crawling. I've invested in a plush rug for our living room (wood floors) and am leaving him to it.

suiledonn Mon 24-Aug-09 13:17:52

The thing is we are way beyond the rugs and cushions stage now. She covers a lot of space in a combination of shuffling, rolling and wriggling on her tummy.

I wish she would just crawl now. It is all the sitting up, falling back, rolling over hitting her head that stresses me out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now