Talk

Advanced search

Advice for 5 month stranger anxiety??

(4 Posts)
vicksey Sun 29-May-05 13:57:09

Hi all,
I'm new to mumsnet and hoping for some advice- my little girl is just shy of 5 months and is experiencing some anxiety around people who she used to love- we went to my brothers yesterday and she cried every time he went near her. She spends a great deal of time with just me, as I live a little way from my family- anyone experienced this in a young baby or any advice on how to handle I'd be grateful (almost makes me feel guilty when she cries).
thanks
vic

hunkermunker Sun 29-May-05 14:01:51

Hi Vicksey - welcome to MN. I would say just cuddle your baby, tell other people just to smile at her and not crowd her. DS can be very shy still, but can also quite willingly go to people he doesn't know very well - depends on his mood!

If the person she's anxious about frowns at her or looks puzzled, that will upset her further - just ask them to smile at her and she'll be fine - she's just starting to work out she's separate from you.

juuule Sun 29-May-05 15:05:14

It's a stage baby's go through.

Look at the leaflet(listed at the top of the page) "A Special Bond, A Special Time - the first three years" on the link below to find out about secure attachment and seperation anxiety in babies.

WATch

vicksey Sun 29-May-05 20:40:18

thanks for the advice and links- I knew about seperation anxiety I just thought she was a bit young (cant be my 'little' baby forever I suppose!). In a way its good to know that its not because I'm her sole carer and its a normal stage for her, I'm not depriving her of anything because other people don't look after her much.
thanks again
vic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now