Talk

Advanced search

Any very late walkers out there?

(18 Posts)
Kiwicath Sun 29-May-05 06:07:35

I'm not worried .... really!!. My wee chap is 17 months now and even though he's been cruising and climbing like Hillary since 11/12 months, he shows absolutely NO desire to walk or even stand on his own. He walks holding on to one hand but only for a few steps then can't be bothered anymore. I'm defending him left right and centre but he's being called "lazy" and "not ambitious enough" by friends and family more and more often now. I want to tell them to poke it and pick on someone their own size but wondering when I should start to get a little worried. #2 is due in 3 months and was rather hoping I wouldn't have two ground grubbers at the same time. Hoping there are some very late walkers out there who have grown up to become well adjusted, functioning members of society . Cheers.

melli Sun 29-May-05 06:28:40

Dont worry love. our DD was roughly 16 months before taking steps on his own and I think its quite common. hes happy cruising so sees no point in walking yet.

bumptobabies Sun 29-May-05 07:09:20

i was secretly worried about ds he was cruising for months and finaly walked at 19mths

bobbybob Sun 29-May-05 08:13:49

He's just picking his moment - waiting until you are too pregnant to catch him.

Have you moved yet?

expatinscotland Sun 29-May-05 08:28:09

Mine was 21 months before she tried it and 22 months before she started doing it regularly. I was a late walker myself.

It's pretty sad when adults label babies 'unambitious' and 'lazy'. People like that really need to get a life.

Kiwicath Sun 29-May-05 12:03:09

Cheers guys. Moving back to NZ in 2 weeks. I just know he's going to decide to walk at about 30,000 feet somewhere between Cairo and Christchurch!!! - boy, am I not looking foward to that flight.

Hi Bobbybob, leaving Sharm on the 5th, Cairo on the 8th, arriving ChCh on the 10th. All very exciting but a bit daunting. Just discovered "trademe.co.nz" which should be a real life saver when trying to get babe things. Just need to find a house and a job now!!..... oh yes, and have a baby!!. Would love to get in touch.

bobbybob Sun 29-May-05 19:34:12

Trade Me is excellent for baby things, I buy all of bob's Playcentre clothes from people on it, and I have sold loads of stuff too.

If you need a loan of anything just let me know. We still have some stuff I haven't sold, and could take around to wherever you are staying.

CAT me if you want to.

NomDePlume Sun 29-May-05 19:35:41

my next door neighbours lovely dd took her first steps at 20 months old.

Orinoco Sun 29-May-05 20:33:59

Message withdrawn

Bozza Sun 29-May-05 21:09:53

Kiwicath - a lot could happen in 3 months so I wouldn't worry really.

logic Sun 29-May-05 21:33:59

My ds took his first unaided steps at almost 17 months and didn't walk properly on his own until 19 months. Don't listen to other people. Your little man will walk when he is ready and not before but it is hard on the arms isn't it, carrying him everywhere?

MUSA Tue 31-May-05 16:06:24

My ds is 22 months, and still does'nt walk don't worry.

beansmum Tue 31-May-05 16:08:30

I didn't walk until after my sister was born and she's 19 months younger than me. I turned out okay (I think)

clary Tue 31-May-05 16:51:20

Kiwicath my ds1 didn’t walk till he was 16.5 mths. He’s basically fine now (nearly 6) tho have to say that gross motor is not his strong point. He walks well (did loooong walk out in peaks yesterday) but his running is a bit odd and he struggles still with eg skipping, some jumping (had to jump sideways over obstacle at school sports day and I could see how stressed out he was about it).
We have been told he has soft joints and I think that’s the reason for the various delays. But it’s not anything to worry about - so he’ll never be a gymnast? Big deal.
I don’t want to alarm you with this post and 17 mo is within the “normal” parameters (9mths to 20mths), so don’t listen to people who say he is lazy (nice!).
But if you feel ds is not making progress as he should then it’s worth seeking your GP’s advice (and don’t let yrself be fobbed off).
I have quoted this many times but a colleague’s ds was a VERY late walker (2 yrs) and at 18mths they were told by friends etc oh, don’t worry, so they didn’t; but maybe eg physio would have helped him. He’s OK now but still has some mobility probs. Not saying this will be yr ds of course, just a warning thought.
The parameters are there for a reason and deviation should be at the very least born in mind and kept an eye on.
Of course if/when he suddenly starts walking at 19mth you will be wondering what you were worrying about!
Good luck and hth
Clary

Prettybird Tue 31-May-05 16:59:10

Ds was 16 months before he walked - but he's now 4.5 and all his gross motor skills are very advanced. He's a strong runner, jumper, thrower.... basically a bundle of energy! Stong, assertive, energetic and definitely ambitious !

Only started commando crawling at 11 months, but by 13 months was scuttling away at speed. Learnt to climb stairs at 13 months.

He was cruising a but at 12 months - but was never that interested in standing.

Tell your friends to shut up and stop putting interpretations onto his behvaiour and casting aspertions on his character.

jofeb04 Tue 31-May-05 18:55:38

My ds is 15months old now, and will walk along the sofa and tv etc, but will not let go. Everyone says he could be a late walker, but i think its more lazyiness!!!
Health visitor isnt concerned either.

kcemum Tue 31-May-05 19:06:41

DD3 didn't walk until 2 yrs old as was an accomplished bum shuffler and couldn't be bothered to walk when shuffling was quicker.

Rarrie Tue 31-May-05 20:20:12

I think it is sometimes just down to personality! My DD started to learn to walk at 11 months - had taken her first steps and could do up to 6 etc - but then didn't take it further until she was almost 14 months - but she's like her daddy; not interested in the little details - she likes to see the bigger picture. She could get around, she had managed to take some steps and that was enough for her - nothing to do with being lazy or anything; she's just not bothered by details - even now I can see it - at 18 months, she has well over 50 words - but none of them are pronounced properly!

Also, could he not be learning something else, like talking? That will slow it down - and was part of the reason why mine took so long to learn to walk - at 12 months, she started signing! She didn't show any more interest in learning to walk until she could sign efficiently!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: