Talk

Advanced search

Swimsuit & nappy?

(15 Posts)
Skillbo Sat 22-Aug-09 12:16:33

I am about to take my DD swimming for the first time. I just wondered - we have got a little swimsuit for her but it doesn't look designed to hold a nappy, like some I have seen. Do we need to put one of those swimmer nappies on underneath or, because she will only be in the water for about 20 minutes, ish, do we just wing it and throw her in nappyless?

Really looking forward to it and a bit gutted that I can't take any photos sad

HeadFairy Sat 22-Aug-09 12:18:33

I wouldn't go in without a nappy, I'd leave out the swimsuit if anything.. those swimsuits don't really hold anything solid should an accident happen. If she poos in the pool they'll have to drain it and it'll take forever to clear the pool out.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 22-Aug-09 12:20:57

Definitely a swimming nappy!

You may even not be allowed in without one.

Pools often have to be closed, drained, re-filled and re-heated after they have been pooed in. So you would not be very popular if your dd did this.

PleaseMrsButler Sat 22-Aug-09 12:22:38

Definately a swim nappy. You probably won't be allowed in without. Most swimming costumes are fine with them...if not just a swim nappy will be fine.

HeadFairy Sat 22-Aug-09 12:23:04

My swim class won't let them in the pool without a swim nappy and a neoprene swim nappy over the top. It's so costly to empty a pool and clean it all out!

Skillbo Sat 22-Aug-09 13:54:09

Thanks for all your replies - and it's a resounding shout for the nappy. Don't want to piss off heaps of parents in the middle of the holidays and it definitely makes sense!!

mathanxiety Sun 23-Aug-09 19:11:30

Pools have rules about this kind of thing. The one I go to insists on a swimming nappy plus a tight plastic pants (actually vinyl or neoprene, probably) to catch poop. It doesn't matter how it looks under the swimsuit. Nobody appreciates getting thrown out of a poo-filled pool because someone didn't come prepared, and you'll get very dirty looks from the other swimmers.

njmomof1 Mon 24-Aug-09 19:44:47

Hi, V new to site.

Been taking my baby swimming twice a week since he was 3 weeks old (turns 6mths 2moro). Never used a nappy under his trunks and don't intend to. He's never pooed in the bath and as his routine is really regular... I manage to pick the time least likely x

Lpsmum Mon 24-Aug-09 20:14:30

Njmomof1 why do you refuse to use a swim nappy? Have you not read the earlier replies? You cannot know that your childs habits won't change especially now they're eating new foods etc.
You seem v selfish IMO

HeadFairy Mon 24-Aug-09 20:47:51

njmomof1, that's a very selfish attitude, I do hope if your baby decides to change his habits, the owners of the pool charge you for the cost of emptying it, cleaning it and refilling and reheating it... it'll run in to several thousand so have your cheque book ready!

greensnail Mon 24-Aug-09 20:53:58

dd never pooed in the bath till she was 6 months, then one night she did, and it really does spread in water!

She wears swim nappy under her wetsuit when we go swimming. What's the problem with putting one on?

njmomof1 Tue 25-Aug-09 09:20:52

For those who think I'm selfish... try checking out the WaterBabies site for the Neopreen suits!!!!

Then question me, it's not that I'm leaving it to chance but there are other products out there that save the recurring cost of additional nappies.

Also my DS is in towelling nappies, not that anyone bothered to ask before jumping down my throat.

njmomof1 Tue 25-Aug-09 09:26:02

Oh and the pools do not get fully drained at any pools... they clean using manual methods the best they can and then break down any germs or remaining using chemicals and following that they have to re-neutralise the pool all in all takes about 2 hours but they take 3 to give several checks to the pH and to ensure sufficient rotations through the pumps.

greensnail Tue 25-Aug-09 10:10:59

DD also in cloth nappies. njmomof1 you made it sound like you weren't using any sort of nappy. Those suits count as a washable swim nappy which is fine. No one on the thread said that you need a disposable swim nappy, just that you need a swim nappy.

DD has one of the waterbabies wet suits, and wears a disposable swim nappy underneath, as per waterbabies policy. However, Huggies little swimmers nappies, actually wash fine so we use ours several times before binning! I like the security of having 2 layers on her. Makes it more bombproof, like having a nappy and wrap on.

mumofeve Tue 25-Aug-09 11:42:12

I would always use a disposable swim nappy or washable swimming pants. My DD (just turned 3) used them until she started potty training (aged 2.2) and never once pooed in them, so I probably could have done without them. However, when we started potty training her, I took her swimming with no swim nappy on for the first time ever, and she pooed! Sods law isn't it! Luckily it seems that a 2 year olds poo can be held by a swimming costume!!!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now