Talk

Advanced search

I tried asking my mum for advice, and my mum said I should post it on "that mums thingy" so...

(8 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Fri 21-Aug-09 19:31:27

taking mothers advise...

DD is going to be four in October, and she has a real issue with wiping her own bum when she has done a poo. She is fine when she does a wee, but if she does a poo, she will not wipe her bum, and gets really upset if we encourage her to do it, and she will cry as well. I dont know why she gets so upset about it, but I would like to get her to do it herself, what is the best way to tackle this?

TIA!

2fedup Fri 21-Aug-09 19:35:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Fri 21-Aug-09 19:37:18

I dont think so. She does get a sore bum, but she doesn't mind us wiping her bum, just gets upset doing it herself.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 21-Aug-09 19:38:02

Maybe she's afraid she won't do it properly or will get poo on her hands?

Have you tried doing the first wipe, to get the worst off, then getting her to finish up?

Also, if you don't already use them, flushable wipes like Kandoos are great for toddlers learning to wipe.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Fri 21-Aug-09 19:44:46

I have got the wipes, trying to encourage her to use those.
Shall try the one wipe thing, thanks

threeandcounting Fri 21-Aug-09 22:35:17

When trying to encourage mine to wipe their own i would ask them to do it first and then i would check for them after (always saying what a good job they have done! even if it wasnt perfect wink)

It has worked so far! Keep reminding myself that it won't last forever...Good luck!

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 22-Aug-09 12:35:56

Beware of the so-called 'flushable wipes' - they are not really flushable!

If you have ever had any problems with blocked drains, avoid putting them down the loo.

That said, perhaps use them for a short while if it helps dd.

Could you have a sticker chart for when she tries to wipe? Or a chocolate button when she does? (the choc buttons seem to work better with mine, lol)grin

bigchris Sat 22-Aug-09 12:41:19

she's still little
i wiped my kids bums until they were five or until they wanted to do it themselves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now