Talk

Advanced search

5 year old still having accidents

(6 Posts)
ellielou02 Fri 21-Aug-09 19:19:26

basically dd who is 5 in 2 weeks and has just started school has quite frequent accidents ie wetting herself, this has been going on for the past year or so, she just cant be bothered coming in when out playing to go to the toilet. Dh and I are getting a bit fed up of it as I think some kids will start laughing at her soon. She toilet trained at 18 months and has never wet the bed. I know she isnt worried about anything as we have a great relationship and are very close. The thing is DH and I are trying to think of the best way of dealing with this, up to now we have been not letting her watch tv when she goes to bed (she usually gets half an hour) if she has an accident, but she now gets in such a state she doesnt want to come home, and it obv isnt working so anyone else got any advice? I know its normal to have the odd accident but I really dont want kids laughing at her.
TIA

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Fri 21-Aug-09 22:56:15

I think sometimes they get so engrossed in what they are doing that they forget. Reminding her every 30 minutes should help. I don't think children will laugh at her, most of them do this anyway, it's normal. smile

ellielou02 Sat 22-Aug-09 08:33:12

Thanks fluffystdmis

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 22-Aug-09 12:31:38

Try getting her to drink more. She will then hopefully get stronger signals that she needs to go.

You might need to check that she does not have a uti but as this has been happening for quite a while, probably not.

You could also try a chart so that she gets a sticker each time she goes to the loo. After 10 stickers, she gets a treat - magazine, trip to a cafe - whatever would motivate. So you are focusing on the postives and ignoring the accidents.

TalkIsCheap Sat 22-Aug-09 13:08:05

make sure that she is not constipated as this can put pressure on the bladder

ellielou02 Sat 22-Aug-09 15:00:02

Thats a good idea with the chart dh, talkischeap thats a good point but shes def not constipated lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now