Talk

Advanced search

Clingy phase in 2.5 year old

(6 Posts)
pigletmania Fri 21-Aug-09 14:41:29

I think that my 2.5 year old is going through a clingy phase, she started this Tuesday by refusing to go to bed and clinging onto me or my dd for dear life, only went to sleep whilst my dd was in her room on a chair doing work. Last night was a nightmear trying to settle her i had to lie with her to go to sleep, then she woke up at 3am refused to settle unless one of us was with her and today she just does not want to be out of my sight, with my all the time. What can i do its really getting me down as she usually is very contented and goes to sleep like a dream at night, HELP!!!!!!! oh she comes to me checks that i am there despite my being in the room and goes and playes, checks again than goes to play

pigletmania Fri 21-Aug-09 14:43:03

sorry just to reiterate as it sounds a bit odd, she only went to sleep whilst my dh was sitting on a chair in her room doing work on his laptop.

crumbled Fri 21-Aug-09 18:23:12

Hi there, how very strange...just was looking at the threads in the vain hope someone might be writing about this very issue. My ds is exactly 2 1/2 tomorrow and suddenly, out of the blue, can't bear for me to not be right next to him. As yet it hasn't carried into the bedroom, thank goodness but poor you, but all day, every 5 minutes he's whinging for me to cuddle him, follow him, stay in the same room as him. Have no idea what it's all about. I have begun potty training but that was going really well so don't think it's associated.

I did read on mn somewhere that at this age they do sometimes start to become more aware of their own identity and therefore start to get clingy, but really! It's driving me (and dd (4)) insane.

anyone else out there who can help us??!!! (oh as I write, 'Muuuummmy, where are you? Muuuuuuuuummmmmmmyyyyyyyy')

pigletmania Fri 21-Aug-09 19:55:03

I know crumbled, the worse thing is that it started with bedtime and we are walking round like zombies. I cant put her in her own room to play without her screeching and trying to climb over the stairgate, its like she is frightened but of what i do not know, i think that it is just the clingy phase. Nothing has changed in our household same routine same things i am stumped.

Beanigan Fri 21-Aug-09 20:31:41

Hi pigletmania, I can sympathise as we're going through the same. My ds is 2 years 5 months and is constantly asking for a cuddle, clinging to us for dear life. We can't leave the room without crys of 'I want my mummy, I want my daddy' and getting him to sleep for his nap or bedtime is a nightmare. This has all kicked off in the last few days. I don't want to get into the habit of lying down with him to get him to sleep (which we have been doing the last couple of days) - so I was strict tonight, talked to him before I left (after story etc), said he must go straight to sleep, then after a bit of whining just said sternly 'Bed' and left him. Just a couple mins of whining and all went quiet so not too bad tonight.

Oh and we do get the wake up's now (again, always a dream sleeper) - wanting us to lie down with him. I've been quite strict at night and with really early wake ups - just another 'bed' then swiftly leave.

I guess give your dd plenty of attention and cuddles before bed, explain that you will be leaving and she needs to go to sleep by herself but you could say you'll come back and check in 5 mins, then do. This way it won't be so devastating when you do leave. The 5 mins could then extend a bit the following night until one night she'll (hopefully) be asleep by the time you check. Good luck.

pigletmania Fri 21-Aug-09 22:14:18

Thanks Bean i am glad that i am not alone. I did just that, half an hour before bed i told he we going to bed, that mummy and daddy love her and are there for her and that she is a big girl now and to go to sleep. Did story, prayers, switched on fav lullaby, stayed in her room with my back to me saying nothing and she just went to sleep . Dont know if she wakes up at night, follow supernanny and keep putting her to bed without saying anything which i did last night and seemed to work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now