Talk

Advanced search

18mo DD hitting and lashing out, please tell me this is just a phase

(6 Posts)
soupmaker Fri 21-Aug-09 13:39:46

My DD has over the last two weeks started hitting out at adults and children. This normally occurs when she has been told 'no' to something or is displeased for some unknown reason. IMO she is way too wee for time-out, naughty steps and the like, so we have been consistent in getting down to her level, putting her hands by her sides and being very firm with her that hitting is not acceptable and then trying to divert her with something. I took her into nursery this morning and she hit two of her wee friends shock for no reason at all, and I know she has hit out at nursery staff blush - so she isn't just having a go and me and DP. None of my other mum pals seem to be having this bother with their toddlers. I am feeling very upset about her behaviour. I think I just need a bit of reassurance that this is normal, it will pass, and that being consistent with her will eventually put a stop to it.

Supercherry Fri 21-Aug-09 15:58:41

It is completely normal, I think you are handling it perfectly, my DS, also 18mths sometimes hits but it is getting less frequent, it's just a phase

beesonmummyshead Fri 21-Aug-09 19:45:16

it does pass, at 18months dd hit everyone, went right in for the kill with two hands swinging shock.It was particularly bad if someone came near something she was playing with, but could happen just for the sheer hell of it. I was distraught.

Now at (almost) 2, she at least has the courtesy to say "mummy, hit the boy?" grin

bluejellybean Fri 21-Aug-09 19:51:59

I know its hard! My DS 21 months, normally cuddles his pals but today there were some sharing issues and he got cross and pushed a child right off the toy and pulled his hair! blush blush

twinmam Fri 21-Aug-09 19:55:15

We have this too. DD2 also 18 months hits her twin sister a lot, especially in fights over toys. She also hits me and DH if she is annoyed with us. She has such a temper. Have had no reports on her hitting others children at nursery yet. She did raise her hand to our friend's 1 year-old DS the other day and I managed to grab her hand before she slapped him and said in a firm voice 'no hitting'. I agree that 18mths is too young for naughty step etc and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Please don't worry that your DD is doing something unusual though and at least she's not a biter!!

soupmaker Fri 21-Aug-09 21:17:55

Thanks all for the reassurance. Feeling better as I had a word with the nursery staff and they are handling it exactly how I want them to - I have no doubt consistency (and a good dose of luck) is the key to this phase ending - then it will be onto the next one! Here's hoping it's not biting - not sure I cope with a piranha shock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now