Talk

Advanced search

DD has thin baby fluff hair age 4 - will it get better??

(13 Posts)
Danceaway Fri 21-Aug-09 11:44:16

DD2 looks v young for age and starting school this yr - had assumed it would have grown in by now but her hair is still short, wispy and fine, looks unbrushed 2 minutes after I've put a brush thru it and takes about 30 seconds to wash and dry - unlike dd1 who has always had masses of thick glossy hair.
DD2 also sometimes says "I wish my hair was like that" when I am brushing mine or dd1's hair. I say "of course it will be darling, when you're a bit older..." but will it??! Is there anything I can do?? Have tried trims but TBH there's not much to trim... and want to keep it longish to retain girl look...

Danceaway Fri 21-Aug-09 11:51:36

help help!

engelbart Fri 21-Aug-09 12:08:57

I can relate completely. My dd is 4 in a couple of months and has very little hair. She was born with hardly any hair at all and its taken this long for her to grow any. To be honest, I don't worry about it too much, I've been assured that in a couple of years she'll have a full mane of glossy hair! People are very keen to tell me their stories of little girls with very little hair who all have a full head as adults! My dd says things similiar to your dd2 though which is a bit upsetting, she doesn't understand why she can't have pigtails or a pony tail or why hair clips fall out... and asks me when she'll have 'big' hair like her friends sad I try and focus on the positive things like, as you say, we can wash and dry their hair in 30 seconds flat! And also, my dd has never had nits, despite all her friends, and i think this is because there's less hair for the nits to live in!

I've trimmed dd hair as the hair she has gets very very frizzy but like you say am also reluctant to cut too much off...

I do remember when dd was about 2 and I was holding her and a couple of 7 year olds asked me if she was a doll because she had no hair! I had to laugh.

So sorry, have no advice really, don't think there is anything we can do to encourage growth.

themoon66 Fri 21-Aug-09 12:14:34

My DD was almost bald until she was two. Her hair was only blonde whisps when she started school. By the time she was 8 or 9 (I think) she had thick blonde hair. Now she is 20 she has lovely glossy hair that is too thick to get clips in.

Danceaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:16:23

Thanks engelbart, sorry to hear you have same issues! You are right, at least I don't get arm ache drying it like I do from drying DD1's hair. My dad started losing his hair in his twenties so perhaps it's hereditary?
Just worried she'll notice it more when she starts school and looks so much younger than her peers (she's August anyway which doesn't help). I could do with some "it thickens up eventually" stories, I know a girl 2 yrs above DD2 whose hair is still v thin and wispy. At least we live in an age of hair extensions should she feel so inclined when she's old enough.

Danceaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:17:07

themoon66 you have answered my prayers!!! Got goosebumps with thought of how happy dd2 would be at thought of hair too thick for clips. Thank you!

The2ndMrsSantos Fri 21-Aug-09 12:19:12

My DD has the same frizzy very short hair - though what there is a lovely golden colour. Mostly I am concernedit makes her look very young - also an August baby and starting school in January. I don't have the thickest hair in the world either sad

Danceaway Fri 21-Aug-09 12:28:37

The2ndmrssantos, you are lucky to get till jan, they are harsh round our way and dd2 who looks about 3 if that will be off in her uniform, away from me for nearly 7 hours of the day, in a couple of very short weeks.

Sob Sob! Etc.

If she had a bit more hair would it make it any easier? Prob not... sad

engelbart Fri 21-Aug-09 18:28:35

Danceaway - I'd like to think when they go to school none of the other children will even notice our dd have less hair. Or am I being naive? I have to admit in one way I'm pleased my dd isn't going to school til next year as it gives her an extra year of hair growth smile. Can understand why you're worried about your dd going to school when she's so little though, really hope it goes OK. Oh and I found article below quite reassuring...

http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/general-health/bald-is-beautiful-6042/

pigletmania Fri 21-Aug-09 19:52:20

I totally understand, my 2.5 year old has really baby hair, just like your DD2, actually both our dd hairs sound exactly alike, i put a brush through it but it still looks like it has never been brushed. I think that i had the same type of hair to and i have normalish hair(very fine)

GreenPenguin Fri 21-Aug-09 22:18:52

My DP would say (and does say) about my DS: 'Shave it all off'. I'm loathed to, but he may have a point.

The2ndMrsSantos Sat 22-Aug-09 13:02:02

If I spray my DD's hair with a plant spray (with only warm water in it of course) then it goes into really pretty ringlets but tbh I already have quite enough to do getting everyone dressed, fed and out the door on time in the morning. I am dreading January. I can't think of a worse time to start school. I started in January and pretty much hated school from then on, despite not having minded nursery.

purepurple Sat 22-Aug-09 13:06:21

my DD had weird fine hair when younger
when she was a baby we called her George Dawes
and when she was a toddler we called her hulk hogan
now at 12, she has really thick blonde hair that has curly bits at the back and straight bits at the front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now