Talk

Advanced search

8 month review with HV....top tips please

(8 Posts)
Sallypuss Thu 20-Aug-09 13:00:56

DD has her 8 month review in a couple of weeks whilst I know it's a bit of a formality but I would like to try to make the most of the time with the health visitor. I have a minor concern about DD's lazy eye (hereditary) which I plan to raise but other than that no concerns about her health and development.

Is there anything else I should be asking for/ asking about (I'm going to ask for Bookstart pack but is there anything else)? What's the usual format of these sessions?

Bit apprehensive to be honest as the two occasions I've met my HV we didn't have a great rapport and I'm also hugely annoyed that DD will be 10 months old when she has the review (our HVs are apparently so overworked they'd cancelled all reviews without bothering to tell people and it was only when I pushed that I got an appointment!). Sorry, rant over grin

BunnyLebowski Thu 20-Aug-09 13:06:11

DD had hers a few weeks back (she was 10 months as well).

It lasted about 10 mins max and consisted of her getting weighed and having weight chart monitored, same for height. A few questions about feeding (and a pat on the back for still bf'ing). A chat about weaning and her eating habits. A wee chat about sleep problems.

Then HV gave us the bookstart bag which also contained some toothpaste, a toothbrush for dd and a wee sippy cup.

Nowt to worry about at all!

MaybeAfterBreakfast Thu 20-Aug-09 13:08:26

Ds2's lasted all of 2 minutes. He was weighed and measured, hv asked if weaning was going ok, then handed out the bookstar pack and said goodbye.

Waste of time, tbh.

Sallypuss Thu 20-Aug-09 17:37:14

shamelessly bumping....

imaginewittynamehere Thu 20-Aug-09 17:59:50

8 month check as others have said, just to check they are developing normally. I have a squint & mentioned this at dd1's 8 month check - the hv filled in a form for the red book & nothing happened. Took her to optician at 15 months who refered her to the hospital. DD1 now has 6 monthly eye checks at the hospital. I will mention it again at dd2's 8 month check & take her to the optician if nothing happens.

Seona1973 Thu 20-Aug-09 19:43:31

You're lucky you still get one. We don't get an 8 month or 2 year check here angry. It is left to the parent to flag up if they have any concerns so a few kids may well slip through the net.

allaboutme Thu 20-Aug-09 19:44:57

if you have no concerns then its just a formality really

Sallypuss Thu 20-Aug-09 23:29:57

Thanks for all your responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now