Talk

Advanced search

2.9 only wanting to play with water

(7 Posts)
chuckeyegg Thu 20-Aug-09 08:02:14

My DS is only wanting to be in the garden at the moment filling and emptying the watering cans and lots of pots etc from the tap. I've tried a water table but he still wants water from the tap all the time! Is it normal to be so fixated on one activity most of the time at this age?

shazbean Thu 20-Aug-09 08:19:27

My DD (2yrs) does this and has done since she could walk whenever we are outside (a lot) but I got around the tap issue by filling an old washing up basin/our two large watering cans/buckets/the paddling pool and gave her loads of smaller plastic bowls and her own small watering can to pour stuff in and out of. Once thats gone I tell her all the water is finished hmm. I think loads of different things to play in the water with helps as it keeps her amused and now she understands that once the water is gone there is no more. fixating on a particular thing is pretty normal I reckon, I'm sure he will get bored/find something else smile.

meandjoe Thu 20-Aug-09 08:32:07

Yes it's normal I think! My ds just turned 2 is obsessed with the water from the hosepipe at the minute. Got him a water table on the patio but it has to come from the hose pipe and he HAS to water all the plants and himself daily and is not too pleaed when mummy switches it off and drags him inside!

bubblagirl Thu 20-Aug-09 08:45:06

completely normal my ds had this phase his 4 and out of it now but yes always from a tap in the end i filled big bucket and said it was from there or not at all he soon learnt id re fill the bucket when done but would not run back and forth turning a tap on lol

chuckeyegg Fri 21-Aug-09 07:05:43

Thanks for all your replies, I feel much better now.

xx

Overmydeadbody Fri 21-Aug-09 07:08:44

Oh yes it's completely normal for them to get 'fixed' on one activity, they are called schemas and it sounds like your DS is in a filling schema at the moment.

Just let him roll with it, provide lots of different containers for him to fill, watering cans, bottles etc and leave him to get on with it.

chuckeyegg Sat 22-Aug-09 08:51:01

Thanks, thats really interesting I've never heard of schemas before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now