Talk

Advanced search

19 month-old playing with dirty nappy

(17 Posts)
LaTrucha Wed 19-Aug-09 19:46:42

Any tips on how to stop her playing with the poo inside a dirty nappy when I change it?

I've tried putting various things into her hands so she has something to distract her but they end up getting wiped too [grim emoticon]. I've tried singing / playing lots to no effect. I've tried explaining. I've treid gentle patience. I;ve tried ignoring (this has been going on for some time). And tonight I totally lost my rag with her, which left her only confused.

There has to be a way that works.

We're thinking of potty training her soon but a couple of other big disruptions are on the go at the moment so I don't think it's the time, although in other ways I think she might be ready.

LaTrucha Wed 19-Aug-09 20:12:35

Is mine the only gross toddler?

Ususally she's very sweet and, surprisingly, is something of a clean freak.

LaTrucha Wed 19-Aug-09 20:37:10

.... LaTrucha contemplates her new problem: having the only gross toddler on MN......

thisisyesterday Wed 19-Aug-09 20:39:56

while you change it?
just erm, don't let her? i dunno, ds2 attempts this from time to time, but i tend to hold his legs up in the air with one hand and wipe with the other so he can't really reach down.

she'll grow out of it i'm sure.

Pandoraneedsbugs Wed 19-Aug-09 20:41:11

I would say give her something to hold to distract her but you have tried that!

What about being certain you are ready before you lie her down - then whip it off, move it out of her reach and wipe QUICKLY

Its a phase she will grow out of, not that that will cheer you up much atm

LaTrucha Wed 19-Aug-09 20:58:40

I do try and do it quickly, I have all the wipes out of the packt, I hold her legs, I keep her hands out of the way as much as possible, but she always finds a way.

Thisisyesterday - maybe it's different with girls - she tends to get quite a bit dirty at the front and this is what she reaches. Or maybe it's because we are using reusables.

kmowell Wed 19-Aug-09 20:59:37

dont worry mine tries this trick now and again, you just have to be VERY quick, and hold legs up and try to block the arms going anywhere near the nether regions...Good luck!

thisisyesterday Wed 19-Aug-09 21:01:01

not reusables, cos ds2 is in cloth too lol

maybe he just has short arms (i have suspected this). he can't seem to reach all the way round his legs and down though, he only manages to get to it if i let my guard down (and the legs lol)

kmowell Wed 19-Aug-09 21:01:11

Just read last thread...mine is a boy and more poo tend to be at the back......tricky one.

Pandoraneedsbugs Wed 19-Aug-09 21:02:15

Latrucha - boys are a pain too though
If they get it on their Testicles............. argh!!!!!!!!!
And of course when you try to clean it off it tickles............

LaTrucha Wed 19-Aug-09 22:01:52

DD is particularly long-limbed!

I did always wonder about that Pandora..

~Oh well, I'll just have to try and be quicker. Maybe it can be a MN Olympic sport?

whingingDailyHateMail Wed 19-Aug-09 22:15:07

My DD is a bit older but we tell her to put her hands on her head while we change her bum, as she likes to have a rummage too. She usually cooperates. Still wriggles everywhere thohmm

MrsBadger Wed 19-Aug-09 22:18:59

hairslides

LaTrucha Thu 20-Aug-09 07:27:30

Mrs Badger - in her hands or in her hair. Actually, in her hair it would probably work as she can't stop touching them if I try to put them in.

I might try that, whinging. She's very keen on 'action' songs ATM. It's worth a try.

lljkk Thu 20-Aug-09 08:23:40

OOh! I thought I was the only one with this problem (DS 18m). I may resort to hairslides to get the hands up there....

MrsBadger Thu 20-Aug-09 09:09:23

yes in hair - dd can't leave them alone either

LaTrucha Thu 20-Aug-09 13:04:54

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now