Talk

Advanced search

My 5yr old ds wont stop talking.

(14 Posts)
parker1313 Wed 19-Aug-09 12:01:07

My ds wont stop chatting.He is constantly saying something.He wants a reply all the time as well and eventually if he doesnt get enough attention he starts to mis behave.
I am struggling with this as I have a mad 2yr old dd.
For safety I have to watch her quite a lot so Im finding it hard to divide my attention.
Does anyone else have thgis issue?
How can I word it to my ds that its not necessary for him to be talking all the time?x

edam Wed 19-Aug-09 12:07:09

Dunno, sorry. My just-turned-6 ds is a bit like this with me but I hadn't really noticed until someone else pointed it out! (Fortunately he's an only so I don't have to cope with dividing my attention.)

GrapefruitMoon Wed 19-Aug-09 12:12:59

You just eventually develop the ability to appear to be answering but in reality have switched off long ago.... lots of "Mmm", "really", etc, etc.

Think at that age they find certain things really interesting and can waffle on for ages and ages without realising how much they are boring every adult in earshot...

parker1313 Wed 19-Aug-09 12:59:07

Lol.Bless them.I just crave some peace sometimes.

mrshibbins Wed 19-Aug-09 21:46:05

struggling with 8 yr old girl who chatters so much that she can hardly get food in her mouth to eat around the inane stream of consciousness that pours forth, it's as if she will cease to exist if she shuts up. drives me bananas....

generalunrest Wed 19-Aug-09 22:01:18

Lol, I'm with mrshibbins, I've got an 8 YO who hasn't stopped talking for about...oooo...at least 6 1/2 years grin

It is really hard work sometimes, but school says she's got a higher than average vocab :D and she is starting to take the hint that after 10 hours of talking to her all day Mummy needs a few mins peace!

MultiTaskingMum Wed 19-Aug-09 22:02:17

Of my 5, one is just like your DD, mrsH! The rest sometimes get fed up with her and get cross(very negative and upsetting for her), but the best tactic the older brother(13) has found yet is to have a silence competition (with a couple of chocolate buttons for a prize if they're lucky)! Either anyone quiet more than 5mins gets one or whoever is quietest the longest gets it. Not for every day, but sometimes entertaining
If I am trying to talk or ask her to do something I make sure I get eye contact and ask her to listen then ask her very clearly using her name. Doesn't always work, but I don;t know what else to do either!!! Dad is a strong extrovert too.........

mrshibbins Thu 20-Aug-09 13:29:00

ha ha, i've got double whammy today as she is on a TV and Nintendo ban for the day due to being a complete miss stroppington last night when i turned off the TV at bedtime

I'm trying the 'no speaking' game. so far she's managed 30 secs, 1 min, and now, with the bribe of sweets, a new record ... a full 5 MINUTES. silence truly is GOLDEN.

however, instead of speaking she is just writing things down on scraps of paper instead and shoving them under my nose ... grin

mrshibbins Thu 20-Aug-09 13:29:52

ha ha, i've got double whammy today as she is on a TV and Nintendo ban for the day due to being a complete miss stroppington last night when i turned off the TV at bedtime

I'm trying the 'no speaking' game. so far she's managed 10 seconds, 30 secs, 1 min, and now, with the bribe of sweets, a new record ... a full 5 MINUTES. silence truly is GOLDEN. grin

however, instead of speaking she is just writing things down on scraps of paper instead and shoving them under my nose ... grin

mrshibbins Thu 20-Aug-09 13:36:53

ha ha ha. she made it to 10 minutes and got a frosties bar and a kiwi fruit. she announced that not speaking had made her back hurt !!!! grin

oh, and - ha ha ha - another of her quirks - she'll say something she feels is amusing, and then repeat it, and then say 'did you hear me? i was like ...' and repeat it again, but in an exaggerated way. she can spin one line out over several minutes like this ...

shootfromthehip Thu 20-Aug-09 13:39:22

My DD is like this too (she is also 5 and has just started school- God help us all). She rabbits on and on until I interject- the only thing that I can to to shut her up is to talk myself. It's a noisey house this one.

parker1313 Thu 20-Aug-09 14:53:33

Im so so pleased and relieved to hear all this.It drives me insane as he just cannot stand peace and quiet and I crave and love it!!

Stigaloid Thu 20-Aug-09 15:35:58

hmmm don't think i stopped talking till i was about 30. My good friend who is 33 still chatters more than anyone i have ever met and on more than one occasion i have had to put my hand to my ears and go 'no more! I can't listen anymore my ears will bleed!' and she still carries on. You just have to develop the hmm's and uh-huh's and nodding of head. It will get you through a lot. Just don't ever say 'yes' without hearing the question first!!

mrshibbins Thu 20-Aug-09 16:04:52

i think a good investment would be a bag of really BIG HARD STICKY toffee ...

Failing that a big roll of gaffa tape to stick over the little darling's mouth!!

{grin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now