Talk

Advanced search

Colic and the logic of it peaking/occurring at the same time every day

(19 Posts)
StripeySuit Wed 19-Aug-09 11:25:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kwaker5 Wed 19-Aug-09 11:45:02

It's just a phase they grow out of. Usually it occurs in the evening but it depends on their 'routine' (one of my friend's babies did it 10pm-3am).

IMVHO it is down to the fact that they just cannot cope with all the stimulation they are exposed to once they are born. It may seem ridiculous to us, but just dealing with sight, sound and touch overwhelms them as they are not used to it. Things that take them back to the womb relieve it (movement, white noise). I swear they cry to drown it all out sometimes (I don't think they are aware that is what they are doing at that age).

The usually grow out of the spitting up once they can sit upright/start solids, but if it is worrying you, have it checked out.

Congratulations on your baby and good luck!

mumtojennifer Wed 19-Aug-09 12:21:18

My DD had colic from 6-12 weeks (it seems to just disappear when they reach 3 months!) and her time was 11pm-3am - I was a zombie! She was breastfeed, did not suffer from any reflux and I tried every known remedy. In the end I stuck with trusty old gripe water as it was the easiest to administer and to be honest seemdd to work as well as any other!

There appears to be no known cause of colic....no correlation between breast or bottle, delivery, weight etc. etc. Some babies get it and some don't - I'm hoping for 'don't' with next one!

Good luck and just wait for the magic 12weeks or thereabouts smile

mumtoem Wed 19-Aug-09 12:46:26

It might not be colic if your DS has reflux. My DD has silent reflux - v. rarely sick but loads of pain if not treated. It has always been worse at night. I think this is because she is lying down for a longer period.

If your DS has his last feed at about the same time each night, he will probably get uncomfortable at about the same time.

Do you have his cot or moses basket elevated at the head end? I have special bed blocks under DDs cot (from mothercare). They really do help.

StripeySuit Wed 19-Aug-09 16:33:08

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 16:35:32

It's bizarre. I had 7 weeks of non stop screaming from midnight to 6:00 am. You could have set your watch to it. Huge sympathies, it nearly drove me mad.

In the end, I woud just iron, write e mails or do housework. Nothing I could do with or for her.

foreverchanges Wed 19-Aug-09 16:44:17

my ds had colic 4 o clock ever day for 6 weeks just remember it doesnt last forever its frustrating and awful but it will pass

my ds was breastfed too just watch what you eat no cabbage (he cried for 12 hours after this) wonder if it could be mild lactose intolerance

when i first fed my ds dairy he had a rash .i left it for 6 months then he was fine.
never had any probs with dd bf no colic no rash from dairy ...

StripeySuit Wed 19-Aug-09 17:01:50

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 17:27:29

One tip I picked up in NCT book was to give a bit if sugary boiled water (sugar being a painkiller) which seemed to work unless colic stopped at that time anyway. (Baby was breastfed)
Also did the cranial osteopathy stuff.

kwaker5 Wed 19-Aug-09 20:06:18

Does he start his day at roughly the same time every morning? It will kick in once he's had enough of being awake but can't switch off.

ChablisorSancerre Wed 19-Aug-09 21:32:45

I generally believe that colic is too general a term. All I've heard for the past 5.5 months is that ah he's just a colicy baby and will grow out of it.

I now think I can prove (thanks to Colief in his milk) that he is lactose intolerant but because he is "thriving" the doctors and nurses just don't take you seriously..

StripeySuit Wed 19-Aug-09 21:54:36

ChablisorSancerre Wed 19-Aug-09 22:18:18

They do. And just when you think you have it sussed they change the rules.

I do honestly believe that sometimes you just have a grumpy baby and fingers crossed they will start to grow into a lovely toddler (maybe too much wishful thinking!!)

StripeySuit Thu 20-Aug-09 00:14:12

CyradisTheDMSlayer Thu 20-Aug-09 00:18:23

Message withdrawn

mumcah Mon 24-Aug-09 22:16:17

Our DD cried all evening from 6 til 12 every night for weeks.We took her for cranial osteopathy and she was a different baby after two treatments.It was such a stressful time.I found that swaddle,dummy and the hairdryer calmed her down.

ministryofsleep Mon 24-Aug-09 22:32:13

Hi StripeySuit and congratulations on your DS. Our DS2 had colic and it was a massive shock to the system after a very peaceful DS1 grin we took our son to a baby chiropractor at 3 weeks of literally no sleep and non stop screaming, and discovered his colic was a result of overfeeding because the sucking action was relieving the pain he had in his neck caused by a very fast labour and traumatic ventouse delivery, once his neck was sorted (3 treatments) the overfeeding settled down and so did the colic, so I would definitely recommend the alternative route. HTH

StripeySuit Tue 25-Aug-09 10:41:10

herecomesthesun Tue 25-Aug-09 17:36:08

Colic: My first child had colic up until 12 weeks, 4pm until 4 am. I slept from 8pm until midnight and then took over from DH and then when dd went to sleep about 4am I went back to sleep. The four hours at the start of the night really restored my sanity which I had completely lost and helped me make it through the night, that and local radio and also mumsnet - all of the other nocturnal new mums.

Relux: my ds had severe reflux and I held him upright for 20 minutes after every feed and it stopped any vomiting. I also did this through the night, and by the end of the 20 mins he was always sound asleep and I could lay him to sleep without worrying that he would vomit etc. I still (9 months now) hold him up for 5 mins after any feeds just for my own peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now