Talk

Advanced search

help! 9 monts old keeps biting me... not sure whatto do...

(6 Posts)
tostaky Wed 19-Aug-09 10:18:14

ive tried to tell him nicely, no biting mummy, tut tut tut but thats not working

i feel it is hard to keep my cool when for the nth time he bites me hard. he has 6 teeths.
good thing im not breastfeeding anymore!

i would appreciate advice/tips

negrilbaby Wed 19-Aug-09 14:19:04

My DS went through exactly the same thing. His favourite time was after his bath. He'd nussle into my neck and then take a chomp. It really hurt - I was almost reduced to tears on a number of occasions.
I did exactly what you did - and although it took a while - he has now stopped. He still attempts a nibble every now and again, but he now does it gently.
I do think it is just a phase and he will grow out of it. I just learned to duck when I saw him aiming at me with his teeth!!

mumtoem Wed 19-Aug-09 16:13:48

My DD is 16 months and is also biting me. She is not intending to hurt me. I think it is just an interesting sensation for her and of course it always gets a reaction.

When she bites I say no and put her down straight away. At nursery she has tried to bite a member of staff and they react in the same way I do. So hopefully she will learn that biting does not get her anywhere.

BakuMum Wed 19-Aug-09 16:36:15

I just logged on to post about my own DS2 who took a chunk out of my shoulder today when I tried to put him in his car seat. He is 25 months. He bites his big brother when they argue over toys and yesterday he bit the arm of his best friend at playgroup. I try to tell him off and I ignore him for a bit, but i'm not sure he even understands why I'm being cold towards him. I never had these problems with DS1 - he was bitten more than he ever bit. Short of removing his milk teeth, what can I do?!

tostaky Wed 19-Aug-09 17:03:58

ok thanks - i'll wait it out

Supercherry Wed 19-Aug-09 17:07:22

My DS went through the biting phase from about 10-15mth if I remember correctly. We did a combination of ignoring as much as possible and a firm 'No'. It is just a phase and nothing to worry about at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now