Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New baby crying

(7 Posts)
jandrsmum Fri 27-May-05 21:21:26

Hello. Please help, even if it sounds a bit neurotic!
I have a four week old - my second child - and I've just realised that I can't remember anything about the early days with my first one! I know he is very new, but I am finding it very hard when he cries when we want to put him down for a sleep.I have looked at the books I have, but they don't actually tell you what to do about it and I can't remember what we did last time. He seems very happy and chillled most of the time, but when we put him down to sleep he goes really hysterical. I don't want to start always cuddling him to sleep as I don't want to have to do that forever. Or should I just do that now for the timebeing? Any tips gratefully accepted!

NotQuiteCockney Fri 27-May-05 21:25:23

I'm probably not the best with advice on this - I nursed both my boys to sleep for their first 3 or 6 months. Some babies seem to be good at falling asleep on their own (or some parents are good at letting them do this?), and some aren't?

You can certainly do things one way for the first few months, and then stop. I also co-sleep at the beginning, but not forever.

WigWamBam Fri 27-May-05 21:28:29

I nursed or cuddled my dd to sleep for months, it didn't hurt in the long run and I've never had any kind of sleep problems with her.

What I used to find was that sometimes she didn't seem to like the cold sheet when she was first laid down, she would sometimes wake and cry, but warming the sheet slightly with a hot water bottle helped.

hermykne Fri 27-May-05 21:28:43

oh jandrsmum, it wont be forever, and i know u how u feel , i had my 2nd last year and its very hard those first few weeks. but with all my tears i thought whatthe hell they are only babies for such a short time, cuddle them its what they want and at 4wks he is only out of your tummy and probably missing it! dont worry he will settle for you . if u have to put him down then do, but if time allows u to hold and hes not too heavy (as my ds was!) then try to relax into his little groove. i hope that doesnt sound patronising its not meant to at all.
i honestly didnt start the whole regieme, if u call that, til my ds was about 12wk, and he naturally fell into it, alongside his older sister
, so they now nap in the day at the same time and go to bed within 1/2 hr of each other

good luck and congrats too!

marne Fri 27-May-05 21:28:57

Sounds like he just wants company, just let him know your there, talk to him, sing to him and if you have to cuddle him. Hes very young so i dont think cuddling him would do any harm, letting him cry for a while wouldnt hurt him either.

debs26 Fri 27-May-05 21:30:57

i wrap mine in their special blanket and cuddle them to sleep, then put them down and they can still smell me on the blanket. am going to go and cry now, ds3 is 1 in a few days, i want him to be 4 weeks again...

darlingbud Fri 27-May-05 22:15:27

I swore that I would not succumb to letting my children fall asleep on me as it is a hard habit to break. I used to lay dd in her cot/moses basket and gently sing or hum to her whilst gently stroking her cheek. It may take time to get into the routine but please persevere. It will be worth it.
I have no problems whatsoever with dd and bedtime and she is now 2.5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now