Talk

Advanced search

Does our dd (4.5) like stories too much?!

(11 Posts)
dreamylady Tue 18-Aug-09 22:50:32

I know lots of people will think this sounds bonkers, but our dd seems almost obsessed with stories. If she could sit on a knee and be read to all day, that's what she'd do.

What I find strange is that almost before I've finished a story she's asking for the next one - there's no sense of absorbing the story you've just read, thinking about the ending, what you liked or not, just getting to the last page and saying 'can i have another one?'

she does do other things and play with toys but this is what she really loves - she's started learning to read herself too but she prefers it when we do.

I'm thinking about it too much aren't I? but i do get disturbed and a bit disgruntled blush when she does that 'another one' thing.

does anyone else get this?

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 18-Aug-09 22:55:01

I think this is something you should be celebrating smile

DD is also 4 and would probably have 15 bed time stories if allowed.

Any time a story is offered, she'll jump at chance to hear it, day or night. Or her new encylopedias for that matter.

I know the pestering can be a pain, but really, the opposite of this would be much more a cause for worry.

You just need to set boundaries at the start of story time, according to how late it is, how tired you are grin etc. Make sure she knows it's 3 stories then sleep.

SycamoretreeIsFullOfResolve Tue 18-Aug-09 22:56:03

Or 2 or 4 or whatever you normally do!

seeker Tue 18-Aug-09 23:00:15

My dd used to bang books down on the laps of total strangers and demand "Riddit Dory". They almost always did - too scared to refuse - then she would say "More One Dory" until they were rescued or died or exhaustion, whichever came sooner.

I would just keep reading. The best way to feed a hungry mind!

PrettyCandles Tue 18-Aug-09 23:00:34

You know what she likes? She likes being with you and having your undivided attention. grin

But that's good.

And loving stories and reading, that's also good.

If you like you could slow the process down by agreeing beforehand how many books you will read together, or by discussing the book before going onto the next one.

Being read to is one of the pleasrues of childhood. Our 8yo ds1, with a reading age of 11, still loves having a chapter read to him in bed.

Anonymumandlikeit Tue 18-Aug-09 23:04:27

Oh I would love it if ds was the same!

I was a voracious reader as a child and still am when time allows,but if it really intruding upon Getting Important Other Stuff Done thenlimit it to x number of books a day in between you doing mum stuff!

MultiTaskingMum Tue 18-Aug-09 23:06:04

Hi, I agree with Sycamore, you decide how many you are going to read and stick to it. She is having a wonderful time getting your undivided attention for hours on end. Maybe get her to tell you about which bit she liked best or which was her favourite tonight if you have read more than one. I agree that story reading is a wonderful luxury with a child though :-).
I had a 4yo + 2yo then triplets and story time has to be strictly regulated or bedtime takes over 3hours and I'm clearing up at midnight! Speaking of which.......bye!

shockers Tue 18-Aug-09 23:18:31

I think you will probably find the examination of content will come in time.
I think part of the reason that children love stories so much is that they have your undivided for that period of time... my ds(9) still has his story at bedtime (although these days I make him read me one first!)
He also loves to read to his sister and they snuggle up in her bed just like he does in mine.
At Womad recently, they both spent a large proportion of time in the storytelling tent... as did I!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 18-Aug-09 23:22:48

My DD is 10 with a reading age of >13 but she still wants her chapter (or two) each night! And some of the chapters are looong.. but it's a shared pleasure.

At night, when you've reached your limit, lights out and lullaby (mind you, my DD always wanted another one of those too!). In the daytime, I must confess that something about sitting on the sofa reading in the afternoon was totally soporific and I'd fall asleep so that got me out of it.

Obviously its not just the stories, its the closeness and attention that go with it, but maybe when you need to get on with something else you could try a story tape or CD. [I had some great tapes of Pooh, Alice and Wind in the Willows narrated by Alan Bennet]

StripeySuit Tue 18-Aug-09 23:25:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dreamylady Tue 18-Aug-09 23:28:11

thanks MNers
nice to be reminded its the one to oneness she likes - she only gets one story at bedtime (unless she's at grandmas where the supply is bottomless - hmm maybe a connection with my other post tonight)

the afternoon story is a killer isn't it, it always makes me really sleepy grin

tomorrow i will make a special effort and we'll have a storython - i might set us a challenge to see who gives up first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now