Talk

Advanced search

Moving a toddler into own room help.

(17 Posts)
LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 20:11:40

My DD is 19 months oold and she's been sleeping in our room since birth. We're now thinking we'd like to ove her to her new room - mainly because we think DH's snores are waking her up. They certainly do me.

Everyone I kow moved their children when they were baby babies.

I've put some nice toys in there and made it look special. I keep calling it her room but really she has no clue.

Has anyone got any tips on how best to do this?

BTW - she usually doesn't nap in her cot ATM. She can but she prefers the pushchair. I was going to try giving her naps in there but she's very content with the pushchair so I think it would feel like a punishment to stop that.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 20:16:32

I moved DD at 18 months. First you need to put some of her toys in it. Then do some sort of decoration which she has to be involved in (posters that sort of thing). Then get a bed or whatever she will sleep in and ask her to put her dolly in it.

For the first night you might want to put a camp bed in there and sleep with her. But allow her to play in the room as much as possible so she gets used to it.

Ask before you enter the room, make sure she understands it's her space and very special and that it's because she's a grown up girl.

You might also want to put the pushchair in her new room for a few day so she gets the idea (if that's not a complete pain in the bum).

It generally takes three days to get them used to the idea - but it will come.

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 20:38:29

That's very useful. Thanks.

Could I ask a couple more questions?

Do you think your daughter understood about being a grown up girl? My DD doesn't yet talk and it can be difficult to judge. Especially when she thinks it's hilarious to shake her head for no when she does mean yes.

Did you keep the bedtime routine exactly the same? And what did you do if she cried when you put her down or woke up in the night?

I'm glad you mentioned the camp bed. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or if it would be confusing.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 20:45:41

Yes - she did understand - we introduced the concept of 'fairy princesses' with a sticker book and explained each princess needed her own room.

Explain the camp bed is just for a short while because you might get lonely but that you will go back to the big bed soon because daddy might get lonely too.

Bedtime routine exactly the same but stories in her new room obviously. It's a good idea if both of you can put her to bed the first night and be really excited about her room.

When DD woke up, and it was only the once I have to say (she was a crap sleeper for ages then suddenly 'got it' when she was 16 months). I just went in and held her hand and she went to sleep. I would suggest you put a chair in her room so you can sit comfortably if you have to for a while (take a book and just sit not talking but being there).

Good luck!

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 20:49:54

Thanks again.

Now I need a book with lots of bedrooms in..... thinks.... Babapapa books!

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 20:52:28

Ikea catalogue would be easier!!! You could even take her to Ikea and get her to pick out some bits for her room - you'll have to move her to a bed soon anyway!

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 20:53:56

It would. I just checked and they're out of print grin

How long was the run up to the first night in her room?

WeedsAndInfidelities Tue 18-Aug-09 20:59:52

I went from co-sleeping to DS in his own room in one night and honestly it was easy. We decorated, put up a lovely blind with animals on, put some teddies and toys on shelves. Took DS upstairs and made a big fuss of wheeling his cot in there. He laughed his head off and seemed really excited by it all. Stories and milk in a chair in his room and into his cot.

He was 18 months! I expected a nightmare, so you might be pleasantly surprised.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 21:00:31

Two days - day one I decorated it with her, day two all her toys went in there and we spent the afternoon playing in there. I also made sure she was bloody exhausted by running her round all morning so I knew she would want to sleep. wink

MultiTaskingMum Tue 18-Aug-09 21:03:25

Hi,
Sounds like you've already had some great suggestions - I'd second them! I put my DCs in their own room for a daytime sleep too - that also worked for moving from cot to bed - sleep in the bed in the afternoon and after a week give a choice of bed or cot, then after a week of nights in the bed take the cot away.
Putting favourite toys in the new room to sleep - perhaps in the day can help. also if you have any friends whose DC is a similar age and has their own room it could help to show your DS so she knows 'she is like.....' in her own room. Beware staying with her until she falls asleep though - or she will always want you to! She may take to it immediately, but if not, do stick to it, you and DH need your space back too!
Good Luck!

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 21:03:45

smile The sticker book aswell?

Thanks both of you. That's comforting. I was envisaging weeks of getting her used to the idea.

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 21:08:55

Just a warning though - make sure you have contraception sorted out - I know a fair few friends who ahem celebrated getting their room back and no longer have only children grin

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 21:10:00

We ARE TTC grin. Also a bit fed up of doing so on the sofa. blush

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 21:13:02

LOL - oh dear. Well get to it my dear - get that room sorted out. Make it pretty. Make sure she has a nightlight, you'll be fine.

I now have both children out of our room (hurrah) although DS is still in a cot. But in his own room much earlier because frankly I couldn't stand his snoring on top of DHs!

Good luck with the TTCing also. Seems to be a good omen putting your child in another room from my experience with mates. Though it can be a bit of a shocker if it happens really quickly (my friend works out it was within a week of moving her daughter out of the room LOL).

LaTrucha Tue 18-Aug-09 21:14:04

Let's hope so!

GreenPenguin Fri 21-Aug-09 22:37:18

We went on holiday and by necessity (no space in our room)16 MO had own room. We were worried but there were no concerns, and he LOVED it. It's a shame that on returning home we couldn't move him into his own room.
If you have a spare room - just try it. You may be surprised!

LaTrucha Tue 25-Aug-09 09:07:15

Thanks Green Penguin. We're going for it on Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now