Talk

Advanced search

Temper Tantrums _ Help please

(6 Posts)
sparksey Tue 18-Aug-09 18:01:39

Hi I'm new to this site and need some help. My DD (who is 2 in Nov) has over the last week or so started having major tantrums and they have now started in the middle of the night. No specific time just full blown screaming, banging the cot pulling hair out etc etc. During the day you can sort of cope with it with distraction/ignoring whatever works !! But what should I do about night time. Do I go in and calm her(took hour and half the other night or do I just let her get on with it. I understand and want to be consistent. She has never been a good sleeper and very rarely sleeps through. I have just moved so don't know the HV yet. Any help advice would be gratefully received. DH is going mad and not the most patient of people so is no help what so ever

TheArmadillo Tue 18-Aug-09 18:03:03

is she waking up and then having a tantrum or is she having night terrors (i.e. starting while asleep)?

sparksey Tue 18-Aug-09 19:16:12

No she's waking up and murmurs to herself for a while, has a drink etc then gets into one.

TheArmadillo Tue 18-Aug-09 19:28:21

as you said it is difficult to distract/ignore at night.

Do you know what is triggering them?
If it's something like fear of dark then nightlight might help or for lonliness/nightmares you could put on a story/music cd (this works with my ds) - and may also work as distraction. To try and stop them before they start.

I would go in and check on her and repeat that it is night time and she needs to go to sleep and then leave. And repeat every 5 mins or so (spacing it out further and further).

Is she happy with cot? Have you tried transferring her to bed adn see if it helps?

Also is she eating something filling before bed - something with oats or wholewheat to make sure she isn't waking up hungry?

HaggisNeepsnTatties Tue 18-Aug-09 19:30:14

It sounds like night terrors to me. My dd2 suffers from them and they can actually start as you describe. Nothing much you can do but they dont last for long..smile

sparksey Tue 18-Aug-09 19:50:23

She has always had a light on but I was advised to turn it off as that might have been why she used to wake up crying. I then turned it off and she slept through for two nights (joy !!) but then back to normal and then recently the tantrums. I thought about a bed but I don't think she'll stay in it !. I will try the music route. Not sure if it's night terrors as it's the same as the tantrums she has during the day, and anything can start them off, Do I need to be consistent with what I do during the day and night ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now