Talk

Advanced search

clawing newborn

(4 Posts)
avariceandlatinos Tue 18-Aug-09 12:34:48

does the way a baby behaves at two weeks have any relation to future personality. i wonder because i have a very quiet baby, she sleeps alot and used to be really well behaved but now at 3 weeks old she has developed momentas of massive agitation if she wants to be fed or i'm not looking at her - even if i
m holding her. it just seems a bit...exaggerated, because i'm pretty laid back, for example when she is hungry she doesn't cry loudly, just gets very agitated and starts making hiccuping noises, she tries to throw herself back over my arm, goes bright red, flails, kicks her legs about, claws me hard! grabs bits of breast and hands in a vice like grip and when hungry chomps down on me really hard - i'm terrified what that would be like with teeth involved, then guzzles away until she falls asleep, she likes actually pulling her head away too while feeding so i get a stretched nipple! - it just all seems so dramatic, my other half just says shes a little piglet with a huge appetite but in the middle of the night i wonder if i don't have a little demon baby! She gets very agitated if i'm not paying her enough attention as well, it's just that its not vocal, it just involves grabbing at me and throwing herself about! i'm hoping these fits of temper are normal...

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 12:38:30

My third used to do that.

He would be lying next to me fast asleep, then suddenly startle and fling his arms up above his head, usually smacking me on the nose. He always sought things out with his toes too, and he still does that now, he's half monkey I swear.

Could she be having a bit of tummy ache that's making her grouchy and grabby? Perhaps some baby massage to calm things down? Or swaddle?

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 12:40:17

smile congratulations

no it doesn;t relate to future personality

this young they are basically just baby animals

she might jsut be having a growth spurt and absolutely ravenous, esp after being quiet and undemanding for 3wks

it's not 'temper', there's no such thing as 'temper' in a newborn - all they know is when they have a need (food, comfort, mummy) that isn't met, they'll do everything in their power to get what they need.

the other thing is her tummy might be hurting her - is she windy? a good burper? a bit of gentle tummy stroking, or leg bicyling on the changing mat, can work wonders

is she happy in a sling where she can feel close to you all the time? (not a bjorn type, a wrap or pouch)

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 12:41:57

Aww, leg bicycling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now