Talk

Advanced search

Support please - made the switch from Amby Hammock to Cotbed tonight

(11 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 17-Aug-09 20:52:25

I have been through this twice before with ds1 and ds2, but tonight have put ds3 in a cotbed for the first time and it is not going as smoothly as with the other two. He is 13 months old and has never been as good a sleeper as the other two. I fed him off to sleep , but he cried as soon as he hit the cotbed, which he doesn't do with the hammock. He cried on and off for 7 minutes before going to sleep And I know there will be more to come tonight when he wakes. I took apart the Amby so I wouldn't be tempted to put him back in it in the night.

Why oh why don't they make the Amby's bigger so they can stay in them until they are old enough for a bed???

IlanaK Mon 17-Aug-09 21:33:25

No-one wants to hold my hand?

He woke again, but only cried for a minute. I think we are in for a long night.

idontbelieveitifitsinthemail Mon 17-Aug-09 21:42:14

i chickened out of moving my dd2 to her cot tonight, she's 6 months and fills the moses basket but she would not settle in the cot. I'll hold your handsmile

IlanaK Mon 17-Aug-09 21:44:33

Thanks for the hand holding

With ds1 and ds2, they were better sleepers overall so I don't remember it being a big problem moving them into the cotbed. Or maybe my memories have just faded over time

It has to be done though - he is way too big for the hammock now. No going back!

I just hate to hear him cry.

spiderlight Mon 17-Aug-09 22:57:30

I'll hold your hand too

idontbelieve, you could put the moses basket into the cot for the first few nights. Might help - it did with us.

frekkles Tue 18-Aug-09 12:24:09

ooh i'll have to do this one day! my ds is 4 months. My plan is to take the side off the cot, take the bottom out and push the hammock into the cot so it's hanging in their for a week or something. Thought it might help ds get used to the environment then put the mattress back in so that the hammock rests on it and he's still in the hammock without the bounce. then finally take the hammock away. don't know if it'll work but we'll see!

if your baby isn't trying to stand up and get out of the hammock, can't you purchase one of the heavier weight springs?

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 18-Aug-09 12:25:41

It took ds3 about 3 nights to get used to it.... But then he was fine....

saintlydamemrsturnip Tue 18-Aug-09 12:26:49

The main problem was that he used to try and bounce his cot. Lol

I had to move him because he was trying to turn onto his front, but I think the inventors daughter slept in one until she was about 2 didn't she?

IlanaK Tue 18-Aug-09 20:29:30

He had outgrown in in length. His feet were practcally sticking out the end!

Actually, in the end he was fine. He woke a couple of times in the night and cried out once and then went back to sleep. Tonight he went off with less than a minutes crying and so far no further sounds.

With ds1 we called the company and asked what they suggested about making the transition. They suggested getting him used to sleeping on a sheepskin in the hammock and then moving that to the cotbed. We did this with ds1, ds2 and now ds3 and it seems to have worked well.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Aug-09 20:36:26

How is it going?

A bit late perhaps - sorry - but I have just found out that there is a similar, larger product called the Toddler Hammock you can get imported from the US.

IlanaK Wed 19-Aug-09 21:56:37

All went extremely well. He slept in there for a nap today no problem and went down for his sleep tonight without a sound.

I think it was this easy with my other two as well, but i just got last minute jitters this time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now