Talk

Advanced search

My baby is covered in bruises

(17 Posts)
2cats2many Sat 15-Aug-09 21:13:30

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

My 9-month old is covered in bruises and I get quite anxious sometimes that it looks suspiciousto other people.

He's learning to cruise- holds on to the sofa. chairs, table, other people, anything he can grab and pulls himself up and walks along it. The only thing is that he's really unsteady and is ALWAYS loosing his balance and falling over.

He currently has a bruise on each cheek (one quite large) and bruises all over his forehead at various stages of fading. The most recent bruise on his cheek was witnessed by a park full of mums and dads who all turned and gasped in horror when he bashed himself at the park the other day. sad

I do wonder what they think at nursery/ doctors, etc. He looks terrible to me, so god knows what he looks like to them.

littleboyblue Sat 15-Aug-09 21:16:12

He must be doing the same thing infront of them though, so they cn see where it's from? He wouldn't be unsteady at home but fine at nursery would he?

pining Sat 15-Aug-09 21:18:47

Ds went through a phase of constantly tripping and falling flat on on his forehead, it lasted for about 3 months and he never remembered to put his hands down to save himself, it was so embarrassing taking him anywhere with bruises and bumps all over his head. I think most people especially professionals can tell which bruises are normal and which ones aren't.

Naetha Sat 15-Aug-09 21:25:36

My DS is 19mo, and since the age of 6mo when he learned to crawl, has been covered in bruises.

It's just part of what they do I think!

meandjoe Sat 15-Aug-09 21:42:52

They all look like that I think! My 2 year old still has bruises all up his legs! He insists on running everwhere though and falls over at least 5 times a day. Try not to worry!

smerchant Mon 17-Aug-09 00:16:25

Sorry to sound different from all the posts here but my son has just turned two and apart from two incidents that i remember, he has never had that many bruises. He wants to explore a lot but i am always on his side and make sure to get to him if i fear him falling and hurting himself. Its dfficult to keep an eye on him with a 4 months old baby around but i am very paranoid and i always keep an eye to what he is upto.

trust me proffessionals are trained to work out what bruises are normal bump bruises and where they would be.
Long as you can tell someone how/when cant see the problem. My dd2 has bruises up her legs, she is forever falling.

Goblinchild Mon 17-Aug-09 00:26:47

Yes, we have training. sad
Not infallible by any means, but the bruising is often different in NAI. Likewise the fractures. However, if you're asked about it be calm and explain. It's what happens when they're that age.
Like when they discover bikes, and the bruising starts all over again.

horriblemonday Mon 17-Aug-09 15:10:18

Maybe get him checked in case he's got a bleeding disorder.

ShauntheSheep Mon 17-Aug-09 15:19:06

Some people bruise much easier than others too. I am always covered in bruises. Dd is the same. Most active children have lots of bruises but some do tend to show the bruising much more than others.

thesecondcoming Mon 17-Aug-09 16:01:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

screamingabdab Mon 17-Aug-09 18:11:14

Mine were constantly bruised, especially on the forehead, at this age

shootfromthehip Mon 17-Aug-09 18:24:31

Both of mine walked early and consequently have been black and blue from very early on. They are now both 5 (DD) and 2.7 (DS) and are still covered. They are busy, active children and climb everything/ run everywhere.

DD recently learned to ride a bike and was covered in bruises/ scratches, but she kept on going and can now do it. Good on her.

IMO it's normal...

Just counted and DS has 22 smallish bruises on his legs. He's nuts and falls over all the time (usually as he is wearing a bin on his head pretending to be Fireman Sam with his 'helmet' on).

It's sad that we live in a world where a child can get a bruise and we/ people automatically assume that there is a horrible secret lurking underneath it all.

Oh and I am shock that smerchant has the time to even locate her 2 yr old with a 4mth old baby- mine roamed the house when DS was 4mths as I couldn't get off the couch for more than 5mins as he was constantly feeding!

Rhian82 Mon 17-Aug-09 18:35:13

My DS currently has his first bruise on his cheek after falling over while sitting up (if you see what I mean, he can't crawl yet but is trying and failing a lot!). Feels weird to see it and I do wonder what people think. When I was a kid I ran into everything and was covered in bruises.

A friend said her 4-year-old got a black eye in an accident at nursery, and people gave her evil looks everywhere she went with him!

lynniep Mon 17-Aug-09 18:42:46

My DS is always covered in bruises too - they have shifted now - when he was little but able to cruise they were mostly on his head, and sometimes he'd have finger marks on his arms from me catching him. Which probably looked really suss.
He very rarely had nothing to show for the day on his face! Didnt matter whether he was with me or at nursery.
These days (he's 2.5) he has loads of little ones up his legs - mostly around his shins. Doesnt bang his head that often any more (does have one on his forehead at the mo though!)

2cats2many Tue 18-Aug-09 20:15:30

Thanks all. smile

My DD fell and gave herself a black eye just before her 9 month check. The HV was fine about it, but I felt just awful. It looks like her brother is going to follow in her footsteps...

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 20:22:12

I think every child in Britain maims themselves in some way a few days before the HV check wink. Mine certainly did!!!

DS had anaemia and was very bruised. He's now not anaemic and still very bruised. We're all off to the haemaphilia centre next week to find out what's wrong with us all hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now