Talk

Advanced search

Bedtime and an 8month old

(6 Posts)
Peta100 Sat 15-Aug-09 17:32:35

Has anyone out there found their 8mnth old changes bedtime habits around this time? My ds used to go to bed 7pm up until recently...now he cries and turns into a screaming raging nightmare until i go and pick him up again. It's almost like a tantrum tho i know he's a bit young for that. He calls the shots and bedtime is now as late as 10.30pm!!I didn't think it was possible to spoil a baby this age, but now im starting to wonder...

tethersend Sat 15-Aug-09 18:02:00

It's like you're talking about my daughter... No problem going down for naps during the day, but at night, where she used to go down no problem at 7.30-8pm, she now screams the place down. I have to lie down next to her and pretend to be asleep to get her off. More often than not, I fall asleep. Oh, and the tantrums have started, big time. I think she has discovered free will- bugger.

My DS3 (9months) is becoming harder to settle at night and nap times, I have put it down to the fact that he is becoming more mobile and is fighting the sleep he needs so he can practice his new skills amd then becomes overtired and grumpy. He is also waking at silly times in the night to cruise around his cot!!

meandjoe Sat 15-Aug-09 21:14:34

My ds went frm settling perfectly from birth to a cscreaming wreck at 9 months. Think it was a lot to do with separation anxiety and discovering that mummy could leave him. I took the wimps route and stayed with my hand on his chest til he was deeply asleep and then crawled out without a sound! He also started waking in the night at this age too and sreaming when I laid him down again. I did the same then and just gave him a cuddle and stayed with him til he was fast asleep (or else just put him in our bed blush) It didn't last long. By 11 months he was sleeping perfectly again and settling himself. Think it's just a phase they go through Im afraid!

I'm taking the 'wimps' route at the moment, I too am staying with him with my hand on his chest and then sneaking out. I think it a phase too I had similar pattern with my other 3 DC. It will pass.

Peta100 Sun 16-Aug-09 10:13:38

Good to hear it's probably a phase...i've had visions of him staying up till 12 watching telly and then having to put himself to bed. Would far rather try stay with him until he's fast asleep than try cope with the screams, shouts and tears. The evenings have become very long, but hopefully as u say, it's not gonna last forever!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now