Talk

Advanced search

waterproof bedding that is actually waterproof

(9 Posts)
Art Fri 14-Aug-09 19:42:52

ds is 8.5 and suffers from nocturnal enuresis. The clinic he attends have said no pyjama pants, however he is wetting at least once every night, sometimes twice and I cannot find any bedding that is waterproof with such a large amount of urine. I layer the sheets on top of each other a bit like the princess and the pea, but he can easily go through 4 layers and the mattress will still be wet in the morning!
We have tried a duvet protector which seemed to slip inside the duvet cover ending up in a lump and he refuses to sleep in a waterproof sleeping bag as its like sleeping in a crisp packet.
we are going away self catering soon and I am worried he will wet the holiday house bedding.

Anyone else out there with older children who wet the bed - can you recommend anything that will actually keep the bed dry?

LeninGrad Fri 14-Aug-09 19:46:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Curiousmama Fri 14-Aug-09 19:49:30

DS2 is the same as your ds Art. I have mattress protectors from Boyes, were only around 5 or £6. He isn't wet every night but if he's been stressed I put bedtime shorts on him. I was also told not to but I'd rather do that than have him lay in the wet.

Debs75 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:54:06

We use fitted waterproof sheets from tonys textiles. Have tried the duvet covers and had the same problems. Either get some sew and stick velcro so you can velcro the waterp-roof cover to the duvet or get some thin 4 tog duvets that you can wash in the washing machine. timeconsuming and only really practical in summer.

A more expensive solution is the community mattress which is a foam mattress in its own waterproof cover which is wipeable. You can add a sheet on top and when he wets the bed just strip the sheet wipe it down with a mild soapy solution towel dry and pop another sheet on. They are about 100 from an online supplier (can't remember who but shouldn't be too hard for me to find) to care homes. They are comfortable and work really well. Plus they don't rot like normal mattresses

Debs75 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:56:16

try here

Art Fri 14-Aug-09 21:03:44

thanks everyone - all these ideas look great and definitely worth a try smile

BiscuitStuffer Fri 14-Aug-09 22:17:20

how about those pampers disposable changing mat things put on the very bottom layer as an extra?

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 14-Aug-09 22:27:46

We got a large washable bedmat from Boots for ds1 when he had a nighttime wetting problem. It has a quilted cotton top and a waterproof back, is comfortable and unsweaty to sleep on, and machine-washable.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 14-Aug-09 22:32:32

I should also have said that my friend, whose son has the same problem, has two or three sleeping bags - ordinary ones that open flat - that her son uses as a duvet - they go through the wash and tumble dry, so are easier than a duvet (plus no duvet cover changing either).

You could do something similar with cheap duvets from IKEA - if I remember right, they are £4 each, so you could get two or three, and they too would go through the washing machine and tumble dryer.

One more thing - have you considered an eneuresis alarm? We used one for ds1 and it cured 90% of the problem. You can buy them if your eneuresis counsellor won't lend you one, or you can rent them from Astric Medical - theirs is the one we used, and it did work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now