Talk

Advanced search

When did your child drop their afternoon nap?

(20 Posts)
lizjonesatemyhamster Fri 14-Aug-09 13:22:56

and did it help their night time sleeping? DS is 2.7 and not wanting to nap in the afternoon at home or at nursery - is this about the age that it happens?

CMOTdibbler Fri 14-Aug-09 13:24:51

My DS is 3.2, and still needs a sleep really. But doesn't often have one at nursery now as there is too much going on. Most of his nursery friends seemed to stop at 2.6 or so

Pinkjenny Fri 14-Aug-09 13:26:52

My dd is 2.3 and has just dropped her nap. She could probably still do with a sleep to be honest, but the nap was just taking the edge off her tiredness and making bedtime impossible. She was bouncing off the walls and asking to go to the park at 9.30pm. grin

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Fri 14-Aug-09 13:27:50

The day she started at play school. odd child. I thought she would be exhausted after a morning session, but no, apart from illness she had had her last ever afternoon nap.

lizjonesatemyhamster Fri 14-Aug-09 13:34:03

Ah. So that's it then. It would be fab if it helped with the nightmare of trying to get him to go to sleep though

MaybeAfterBreakfast Fri 14-Aug-09 13:38:54

Ds1 at 2.6 years, without warning. Made no difference to his waking up time, but does mean he drops off as soon as his head hits the pillow.

He still occasionally has a daytime nap (at 3.3years) but then he will not fall asleep until 9or 10pm (as opposed to 6.30/7) so I do everything I can to avoid this! Still wakes up at 6am the next day even after a late night.

danthe4th Fri 14-Aug-09 14:37:08

Will still have one a few times a week at 4.3 he is so active and I don't mind as he still goes to bed and only half hour later at 8pmish.It will be interesting what happens in september when he starts school as he only does mornings for the first 4 weeks so I think i'm going to have to keep him awake as I don't want late nights on school nights.

Confuzzeled Fri 14-Aug-09 14:53:36

DD would not go to sleep before 8.45pm if she had a nap during the day. It was torture and she was still waking up at 6.30am as normal.

So dropped the nap at 2.1yo and now she goes out like a light at 7pm and sleeps till 6.30am (ish) most days.

If she really needs a nap during the day I don't let her sleep for more than 30 mins or after 2.30pm. This then doesn't seem to effect bedtime too much.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Fri 14-Aug-09 15:44:25

ds dropped his nap at 2.7 too. most of his little friends around the same age give or take a few months.

will still occasionally fall asleep in the car if we've had a very busy day but i try not to let this happen as it recharges him too much and he can be up till 10!

Luxmum Fri 14-Aug-09 15:48:41

DS1 is nearly 4, DS2 is nearly 2. On the weekends we don't give them their naps, and during the week, we have asked that DS1 only sleeps for an hour, and is then woken up. Most children in his creche class sleep for between 1-2.5 hours. Our issue was they werent tired enough at night. Now they go to bed much better at 8, instead of being awake at half ten, while I was ready to drop..
DS2 seems to just want to copy DS1, and will be raring to go all day, whilst the older boy does defo lag and need at least an hour of quiet TV around 3-4 before he gets going again. Depends on the child really...

robino Fri 14-Aug-09 15:55:59

DD1 has just dropped hers. Aged 2.6, she gave up her dummy and from there on refused a nap despite napping up to 3 hours a day before that. It has helped with bedtime - asleep as soon as head hits pillow but am currently going through the hell that is late afternoons because she still isn't used to it. Today is particularly horrid because she woke at 5 this morning angry. Cbeebies is my best friend at the moment.

timmette Fri 14-Aug-09 16:08:37

DS 3 just gave his up he's 3 and a half - and he still goes to bed at the same time and wakes at the same time.

Pinkjenny Fri 14-Aug-09 16:09:47

I would just like to add that my mum has just text me to say that dd fell asleep at 3.40pm.

Cheers, mum. hmm

nappyaddict Fri 14-Aug-09 16:10:21

DS still has one (3.1) but it doesn't bother me as I prefer him to go to bed a bit later (9:30) anyway.

MrsKitty Fri 14-Aug-09 16:19:46

DS dropped his nap for several months at around 23 months, and slept wonderfully at night (too much sometimes infact!) but then he started napping again at 2.3 and still does - usually around 1.5 hrs - always at nursery, occasionally at home. He seems to really need the nap again now or can't get throught the day, but he's waking alot earlier in the morning now which is unfortunate sad

Bleatblurt Fri 14-Aug-09 16:36:51

My 4.9 month old still has an afternoon nap. He's evil and grumpy without one. He sleeps really well at night even with having a daytime nap - 8pm 'til 7pm usually.

sfxmum Fri 14-Aug-09 16:47:03

mine never napped much and by 2.5 they were virtually gone I think she once had a nap when she was 3
she does not even sleep in cars like normal children grin

nekonix Fri 14-Aug-09 16:57:07

im just cutting my dd nap out at the moment. she found it tricky at first and now and again has the odd 5 minutes if im driving (can't do anything about that) but on the whole she is doing really well and going to sleep at a decent hour in the evening.

lizjonesatemyhamster Fri 14-Aug-09 20:26:07

It's tricky though isn't it - he was desperate to go to sleep at about 430 and I wouldnt let him although I felt very bad about it and then he was a grumpy pain until bed time

nappyaddict Sun 16-Aug-09 03:08:58

Can you try putting him to bed at about 3-3:30 instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now