Talk

Advanced search

Teaching 4 year olds to wipe own bottom without ending up messy!

(5 Posts)
lorraineowen Fri 14-Aug-09 06:45:42

Hi, my 4 year old boy/girl twins start school in September and really need to be able to wipe their own bottoms. I know this seems a very simple thing to teach but am worried about them ending up smelly and sore at school from not doing it properly - any tips?
Lorraine

Chica31 Fri 14-Aug-09 07:03:01

I used to teach reception. It only came up as a problem once or twice. The children all think going to the toilet is wonderful fun and like to use loads of toilet paper. I wouldn't worry unless it turns out to be a problem when they start. Then you can talk to their teacher and she will remind them to clean themselves when they go.

CybilLiberty Fri 14-Aug-09 07:38:03

Chances are they prorbably will make a bit of a mess of it if it happens at school. It's one of the joys of having school aged children!

I tried to teach my lot not to use a scrumpled up ping pong ball sized bit of loo paper but a flat pad of it and to keep wiping until there was nothing left.

Of course half of it ends up up their back. Something nice for you to clean up whne they come home!

Crablass Fri 14-Aug-09 07:41:27

Fun toilet tissue helps if they are reluctant wipers, that moist stuff or kiddy paper is good.

mathanxiety Tue 18-Aug-09 05:27:57

Can they use flushable wipes at school for the last wiping when they think they've got it all? I used these at home and my DCs would wipe themselves all over their rear ends and up their backs. Clogged toilets are my favourite memory of teaching this skill. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now