Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS1 gets very angry and tries to strangle himself :(

(6 Posts)
feelscared Thu 26-May-05 17:09:21

He doesn't do this often but he's just done it at teatime because he got frustrated at some painting he was doing outside with my other son. Other son has some learning probs and is much younger so can be frustrating for ds1. He was really really angry and throttling himself. I reacted wrongly by getting angry too but tbh I was scared. I'm worried I've done something wrong as a parent and that's why he's like this? He's very bright and usually so easy but when he has these flare ups he's out of control.

Enid Thu 26-May-05 17:20:44

how old is he?

feelscared Thu 26-May-05 17:36:21

he's nearly 8

lemonice Thu 26-May-05 17:40:50

Console yourself a little as he is extremely unlikely to come to any harm doing this. Tempers can flare really quickly at that age, as you know (but difficult) try to keep calm as he has probably learnt that this is a good way of grabbing your attention. He will also have frightened himself by the power of his emotions.

Treat it in the same way as a temper tantrum and be firm but neutral.........

feelscared Thu 26-May-05 17:57:24

thanks lemonice, I wonder sometimes if the fact he's a perfectionist could be the reason?

lemonice Thu 26-May-05 18:03:57

Was it the painting he was doing that sparked him off? If so it's quite likely that it just didn't come up to his expectations..yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now