Talk

Advanced search

6 month old not putting on much weight

(6 Posts)
gettingabitnervousnow Thu 13-Aug-09 22:06:22

DS is 25 weeks today. I took him to be weighed last week for the first time in 4 weeks and he had only put on 6 oz in that time, so I took him back this week hoping he would have gained a bit, only to find he has lost 1/2oz

He was 8lb 1oz when born and 16.7 and a half today and has dropped from the 50th percentile to the 25th in 5 weeks.

He was exclsively breastfed until about 5.5 months and since then has 3 breastfeeds and 2 formula feeds a day. Obviously I don;t know how much he is having when he is breastfed, but will quite easily polish off 8-9oz from the bottle. I have also just started weaning, but it is very early days and he hasn't eaten anything of note.

I am trying not to panic but I don't know how worried I should be about this? Is it likely to be a sign of something being wrong or can this happen sometimes for no reason?

Dalrymps Thu 13-Aug-09 22:16:50

It can happen when they become more active and whe they start weaning and sometimes for no reason. I'd say putting the weight issue aside for a minute, is he alert? doing normal poo's and wee's? Active? Happy? Sleeping similar to usual? These things are far better indicators of how he is doing than a temporary slow in his weight gain...

I would say to concentrate more on these things for now and try not to stress too much about it. Don't get him weighed too often, it'll only stress you more. Maybe leave it 3 weeks/4 weeks and check again just to get an idea but it really isn't the only thing to concentrate on.

He sounds like he's feeding well so most likely getting enough calories.

If he seems fine to you he probably is. If you get really worried or just need reassurance hen pop and see the doc/ hv(if you've got a sensible one).

gettingabitnervousnow Thu 13-Aug-09 22:28:06

Thanks so much Dalrymps.

If I hadn't taken him to weigh in I wouldn't be at all concerned. His nappies seem to be fine, and he is a very active, happy, smily little thing. He also sleep really well at night (7-6) - he's not so good at napping in the day, but even this is slowly improving.

The HV told me to come back next week (she said in 2 weeks to start with and then changed her mind). I will try very hard not
to go for a few weeks but I know I'll find it very difficult!

My gut feeling is that he is fine, but I've just got this tiny knot in my stomach now just in case there is something wrong.

Dalrymps Thu 13-Aug-09 22:36:00

I have had issues for a looong time with my ds's weight gain. I know how the hv;s jump on you and get you going in every week worrying you sick as they've only put on an oz or two or sometimes not at all.

He is your son, you don't have to get him weighed when the hv says. In fact the guidelines state they're not to be weighed any more frequently than two weekly and after 6 months less frequently than that.

If it does turn in to a long term 'problem' there are plenty of things that can be done so try not yo get stressed.

To give you an example, my ds is on high calorie milk, he basically doesn't gain weight very fast because he's a very fussy eater and doesn't take in enough calories. There's nothing physically stopping him gain weight apart from the fact he doesn't eat enough.

So you see there are sollutions but they would happen way down the line and in your case he'll probably not need anything like that anyway. All I mean is, try not to worry about what might be as there are always sollutions.

Just keep enjoying him, he sounds lovely and healthy smile

Dillydaydreamer Thu 13-Aug-09 22:36:34

You might want to ask the HV to replot his weight on the new WHO chart based on bf babies if he isn't already. Also it can happen at this age because I would assume he is getting more active and burning more calories. This happened with both my dds, I worried the first time but had relaxed by the second smile If he looks healthy and is passing stools and plenty of wet nappies he is probably fine. xx

thatsnotmymonster Thu 13-Aug-09 22:37:51

I'm sure he'll be fine.

My ds was 8lb 6oz at birth and was on the 25th centile at about 6mths and the 9th centile by 9mths. He has stayed pretty much on 9th and at 4.5yrs he now weighs about 15kg (35ish lbs)

DD1 was 8lb when born and has gradually dropped to the 2nd Centile. She is 3 and weighs 24lbs!!! I have seen a dietician and been told she is fine.

DD2 was 8lb 1oz and is now on the 9th centile at 15mths.

I am 5'8'' so I am not petite.

Also all my dc's eat like horses grin

Some children are just naturally small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now