Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried about my baby's weight?

(18 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Thu 13-Aug-09 14:31:24

My breastfed DS is 14 weeks and only weighs 11 lbs 1oz, meaning he's only on the 2nd percentile on the charts the health visitors use. he was 7lbs12 at birth, lost about 8lbs and has since put it on only very slowly.
He's very alert and generally happy, and has a poo every day! But he does look nreally tiny and scrawny. I took him for his second injections today and he just looked miniscule compared to another baby who was going for her 2nd injections.
He's my 4th baby so I don't think I'm being overly anxious, I never worried about DC 2 and 3s weight (although everyone worries about their DC1!).
The health visitor says we just need to keep an eye on it... but I'm wondering what is exactly the point in that??? And what can I do about it? I don't want to give him formula. I think I'm producing enough milk for him as he seems satisfied at the end of a feed and is sleeping eight hours at night.
Is it possible that his slow weight gain could mean there is something wrong? He's also very hot all the time (the doctor has said that is just because he's lean and doesn't have much insulation so we feel the heat radiating out of him!). His poos are quite thick (Sorry if that's TMI!!) and full of air bubbles so tend to come out quite dramatically... grin
I'm just feeling worried as I've heard that slow weight gain can be a symptom of diseases such as cystic fibrosis...
Any advice on what people think I should do? Should I be worried??
His poos are pretty normal

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 13-Aug-09 14:33:41

Sorry don't know why 'His poos are pretty normal' appeared at the end there - contrary to what my OP suggests i am not obsessed with baby poo grin grin

AstronomyDomine Thu 13-Aug-09 14:35:09

I stopped Bfing at 11 weeks because DS wasn't putting any weight on, but that was my choice and you're absolutely free to to make your own decisions.

If you're worried about CF, lick him. No really - salty skin is a sign of CF.
I had no idea about that (sounded weird when I first heard abot it) until ex-DPs niece was diagnosed with CF... and the salty-skin thing came up (as well as curved nails - looked at from side).

GoldenSnitch Thu 13-Aug-09 14:47:19

Aren't the charts still done on Formula Fed babies though?

FF babies do put on more weight faster. As long as he is putting on weight, I would guess he is fine.

I got talked out of BF at 5 months with my DS because he stopped putting on weight for 6 weeks but looking back, I think he was fine and I should have carried on....

Devendra Thu 13-Aug-09 14:48:49

Hi my DS hovered around the 2nd centile and then I stopped getting him weighed because of the stupid comments by health visitor and GP. DS was born at 8lb but ever since has always been petite. He has always been bright and very happy and is now a healthy 2 year old and is still a tiny boy but the amount of food he can pack away is incredible. I ebf till 6 months and am still bf at night. Some babies are just small!

FreddoBaggyMac Thu 13-Aug-09 15:03:10

Thanks everyone. That is very reassuring Devendra.
I don't think he tastes salty but don't trust my own judgement so will get DH to confirm this evening... smile

pania Thu 13-Aug-09 23:01:51

I think going 8 hours at night without a feed is a long time for a young bf baby.. perhaps you could post on the Breast and bottle feeding board? You'd get a ton of responses there. I'm sure one of the bfing experts like Tiktok could give you some great advice and reassurance.

Dillydaydreamer Thu 13-Aug-09 23:12:13

Hi Freddo did ds have the blood spot test? If he did then CF would usually be picked up then. Don't compare him to other babies though because anywhere from the 2nd to 98th percentile is normal so long as he is following the same percentile and not continually dropping. If he is small he will burn more calories to keep warm anyway.
The WHO have done new growth charts based on breastfed healthy infants now, but not all PCTs have started using them. Ask for his growth to be replotted if you are worried, on the new charts.It will give a more accurate picture.
If he is sleeping well, pooing and weeing then he sounds healthy enough smile

Dillydaydreamer Thu 13-Aug-09 23:14:02

I do agree that it might be wise to feed a bit more, about 8-10 feeds per day is average, although dd2 required 15!

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 14-Aug-09 10:02:52

Thanks for your responses. He's sleeping really soundly from about 11 until 6 (after constant feeding from about 9.30 until 11!) So i'm reluctant to break that habit and wake him up, particularly as I have three other small DCS and am shattered anyway... but I suppose it is worth considering. I'll try feeding him a bit more during the day first though, he's having 6-7 at the moment and is not shouting for more inbetween, but I will try and increase it a bit. I seemed to feed my last DS (now 2) less and for shorter periods and he was on the 98th percentile!!
Yes he did have the blood spot test so that is reassuring me (although I don't know anything about its rate of false negatives??)
He is being 'plotted' on the old charts (!!) so I will try and get hold of some of the new ones and see if his line looks a bit better on those!
Thanks again everyone.

noramum Fri 14-Aug-09 14:24:45

You can download the bf charts at the WHO website or at Kellymom.

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 14-Aug-09 15:10:42

Thanks nora - will do that now...

KWS5 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:11:19

Hi my ds is 19 weeks (bf for 17 weeks)and not put on any weight for a few weeks dropped off the chart he was also bf but the hv told me to give him a bottle, this really upset me as i was wanting to bf for as long as possible and enjoy it, he is now on bottles all the time and has put on weight, it might be different for you but he too seemed full and i never had any reason to worry, its funny but after i gave him a bottle i expected my boobs to be really full and get hot,hurt etc but it never happend it makes me think that although he was getting what he wanted it prob was not enough to add the extra weight. All i really want to say is dont worry if you have to give-in to a ff i hated the idea as i had never had any probs brestfeeding but is has proved to be the best for him.

Debs75 Fri 14-Aug-09 20:46:15

Don't worry about it my dd2 sounds almost the same. She was 7,15 and went down to 7,3. She is now 11 months old and still on the 2nd percentile. My MW was trying to get me to add a FF to top her up but i held out and to date she has only had 2 ff when things were out of our control. Her late evening feeding and sleeping are quite similar as well and she is a really happy and bright baby. Trust your instincts and if you feel he might need some extra then give him a dream feed. Apparently they put on more weight when you feed them on a night.

And for the record dd1 was 99+ percentile all the way through and ds was 50 percentile all the way through. Kids are different and some just are smaller then others.

FreddoBaggyMac Sat 15-Aug-09 16:35:04

Thanks for your posts, that's really reassurung Debs. I really want to carry on bfing especially as he is fine in himself and seems content and happy. Does anyone know, is not putting on weight quickly enough according to the charts and guidelines likely to give him problems in the future? I really don't mind him being a skinny baby as long as it's not harming his health and development!

Debs75 Mon 17-Aug-09 15:09:38

The charts are for bottle fed babies who put on weight quicker. No you don't have to worry it won't effect his long term growth

Dillydaydreamer Wed 19-Aug-09 22:58:55

I agree with Debs in that they are all different. You will probably find that he will have a huge appetite when he is weaned onto solids and will catch up if there is no other sign of a problem.

KristinaM Wed 19-Aug-09 23:12:06

I am not any kind of expert, just a mum. And I'm sorry to disagree with everyone else on thsi thread. But i woudl also be worried about him being hot ( never heard of skinny babies feeling hot) and also the thick bubbly poos. Exclusively bf babies usually have less smelly poos IYSWIM and slightly runnier than Ff babies.

if you are worried that he might have some underlying medical problem then you can ask your gp to refer him to a consultant paediatrician. I woudl at least go back and speak to your gp about it.

I dont think the answer is to give formula. If he has soem digestive problem then that might make it worse, as bm is easier for him to digest

do you have any family history of food intolerances? i dont know ANYTHING about it but i recall some threads about babies with lactose intolerance and the mum needed to cut out dairy from her diet. might be worth googling

also search mumsnet threads on breast/bottle feeding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now