We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

bathing by themselves?

(10 Posts)
holliejobber Wed 12-Aug-09 18:13:12

How old is too old to be bathed by a grown up? I think 8 is too old. Surely they should be able to run a bath and wash their own hair??

FlamingoBingo Wed 12-Aug-09 18:14:57

Why are you asking? Probably too old to need to, but no problem if they want to and grown up person is happy too.

My DDs can wash themselves and their hair together (6 and 4.5) but would probably need help with running it...although I reckon I could teach them that pretty easily actually.

However, I wouldn't stop bathing them if they didn't want me to stop doing it!

TrinityRhinoIsInDetention Wed 12-Aug-09 18:15:45

by bathed do you mean actually being washed by the grown up or just being in the bathroom?

dd1 has been able to clean herself and give a good bash at washing her hair since 8, she is nine now

but I am usually in or near the bathroom when she does to chat or help out

holliejobber Wed 12-Aug-09 18:18:54

I have my step son over every other weekend and would like to just ask him to run his own bath/bathe himself as I feel he's getting too old for me to do it. Just need to know if this is unreasonable

FlamingoBingo Wed 12-Aug-09 18:20:46

Not unreasonable in those circumstances. You might need to run it for him - or teach him how to do it for himself, but he really ought to be washing himself!

wonderingwondering Wed 12-Aug-09 18:26:51

My 2 and 4 year olds shower themselves. Bit hit and miss on the soap application but generally OK. So by 8 I'd have thought he'd be able to sort himself out. Maybe not in the bath, although leaving him in there with the door open would probably be OK.

Merrylegs Wed 12-Aug-09 18:40:29

W-ell.

I run my 8 year old DD's bath and then go and have a chat with her while she's in it and rinse her hair to make sure the shampoo is off.

She is perfectly capable of doing this - although I would have to show her how to get the right temperature. But she likes the company.

Perhaps your DSS is used to the company too?

Can his dad sit and have a chat with him while he is in it?

It's quite convivial actually.

freckles87 Wed 09-Sep-09 00:19:57

Message withdrawn

colditz Wed 09-Sep-09 00:24:12

Freckles1987, please go through media requests and advertising.

mathanxiety Wed 09-Sep-09 04:23:22

If the DC is bathing frequently he'll be clean enough most of the time. I think an 8 yo would be fine with shampoo and rinsing, once given some guidance about not using a huge amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now