Talk

Advanced search

Celebrities, high achieving women, role models for girls

(14 Posts)
starsearch Wed 12-Aug-09 11:07:23

Have name changed for this one, but am hoping that the power of MN can help - am trying to collate a list of names of role models or high achiving women in their fields who may be actually able to attend said event. These women should appeal to or be known by females aged 9-15. So, who do our daughters look up to who aree actually positive figures and not known for their diets, surgery or risque moments?

Sportswomen, actors, community workers - arrg, its driving me mad already - I can see their answers now!

Any thoughts gratefully received!

FlamingoBingo Wed 12-Aug-09 11:16:31

What event? Sorry, I don't actually understand your post entirely!

starsearch Wed 12-Aug-09 12:47:02

sorry - i'm involved in gathering a list of possible poeple who may make an appearance at a large gathering of girls aged 9-15 - know we wont be looking at (or able to afford!) A list 'celebrities' but wonder if successful, achiveing women may be more appropriate - its just a case of who would be known or inspirationsal to girls of this age.

MrsWobble Wed 12-Aug-09 13:00:33

the issue you are going to struggle with I think is that the types of people you want to be role models are not likely to be known by most girls in that age range.

if i were you i would consider someone like Jodie Prenger - who was made famous by reality TV but was talented enough and hard working enough to keep the role and get well reviewed.

chocolateorange Wed 12-Aug-09 13:14:37

kelly holmes?

chocolateorange Wed 12-Aug-09 13:20:18

michelle mone?

this is harder than I first thought, how depressing.

Lothlorien Wed 12-Aug-09 13:50:24

J.K. Rowling?

beckysharp Wed 12-Aug-09 14:04:58

Ellen McArthur
Victoria Pendleton
Camilla Batmanghelidjh
?

SolidGoldBrass Wed 12-Aug-09 14:12:48

Jaqueline Wilson? Your audience will have heard of her and read her books - and I think she is quite keen on making appearances at this sort of thing.
Or how about female staffers from some of the teenage mags, who can talk about the enjoyment of having a job in editorial as a way of travelling and having lots of fun etc.

LeninGrad Wed 12-Aug-09 14:32:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGrad Wed 12-Aug-09 14:32:50

LeninGrad Wed 12-Aug-09 14:34:12

throckenholt Wed 12-Aug-09 14:50:30

um -

Kate Humble

youngish - have been on tv

Hermione Cockburn (scientist, coast)
Alice Roberts (scientist, coast et al)
Miranda Krestovnikoff

Rebecca adlington - olympic swimmer
Rebecca Romero - olympic cyclist

brain scientist - Susan Greenfield (Brain Story on BBC ?)

starsearch Thu 13-Aug-09 11:30:40

Wow - thanks all, some really good names to add to the list. Think yourve hit the nail on the head Mrs Wobble, girls arent nescesarily going to recognise the positive role models but would know Jordan, Kate Moss, etc if they turned up.

Will have a look at some of these women and see what I can do. Any more thoughts welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now