Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is spinning a normal thing?

(10 Posts)
allaboutme Wed 12-Aug-09 10:42:18

Ds1 is Aspergers.
Ds2 is 17 months and shows NO signs of autism at all EXCEPT for the fact that he has started spinning in a circle fairly often in the middle of the room.
Do other kids do this too? or is it a sign of possibly something more?

FAQtothefuture Wed 12-Aug-09 10:47:02

all my children have enjoyed making themselves extremely dizzy by spinning in circles in the middle of the room - all NT smile

TheInvisibleHand Wed 12-Aug-09 11:02:03

My def NT DD loves to go "round and round". I remember my sibs doing this too as a child. Prob nothing to worry about!

Goblinchild Wed 12-Aug-09 11:29:17

A lot of NT children go through a phase of spinning, sometimes sitting on a polished floor, often standing and spinning until they fall over.
I've got an NT and an Aspie, you'll spend a lot of time watching and wondering. smile

meandjoe Wed 12-Aug-09 11:33:56

My 2 yr old ds adores spinning and runs around after shouting 'dizzy!' I think it's just them experimenting with different sensations and controlling how they feel etc. As far as I know most kids do it. In fact when my brother was 2 he did it so much he made himself dizzy, fell over into the cupboard and had to have stiches at the side of his ear. He isn't autistic btw!

ilovetochat Wed 12-Aug-09 11:39:56

my dd is 2 and is always spinning and laughing at being dizzy, i didnt realise it could be a sign of a problem but think most children do it.

allaboutme Wed 12-Aug-09 11:52:04

Thank you all smile
Glad it is so common! I sort of knew it must be normal but theres always that niggling bit in the back of your mind isnt there?
Will just laugh along with him next time he does it grin

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 12-Aug-09 11:57:16

Ds went through this stage about the same age as your ds. Now 4 1/2 i looked out the window (where he was playout with my sister) and watched him spin until he was dizzy and then try to walk in a straight line. It was hysterical. There is a possibility that he might be aspie but most children he playes with do exactly the same thing. Its a phase that will pass, and then reappear at various stages of their life.grin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 12-Aug-09 12:00:59

DS is 12 months and not walking by himself yet although he scoots round the furniture at speed. He has started spinning himself round on one knee, giggling as he does it. He gets really wobbly and keels over or bashes into furniture but then just carries on.
We got the camcorder out to film it the other day it was so hilarious grin

Habbibu Wed 12-Aug-09 12:02:32

dd (2.10) does it, and I remember doing it too. It's fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now