Talk

Advanced search

no transition object

(11 Posts)
margobambino Tue 11-Aug-09 23:28:34

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to write but couldn't find more suitable place.
My 25 months old DS currently has not had a transition object at all. Does this mean that he will not have one and it is too late to have one? Anybody around whose DC not having a TO?
If it is not too late, do I need to introduce a toy and encourage him to make it a TO? If yes what would be the best thing to give him?
(Sorry I've asked lots of questions)

margobambino Tue 11-Aug-09 23:51:56

bump

LaDiDaDi Tue 11-Aug-09 23:56:30

Dd attached to hers at around 8 months (6 months corrected).

Why are you concerned about him not having one?

My only advice would be to buy another identical object if he does take to something, save yourself years of stress over the wellbeing and whereabouts of it.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Wed 12-Aug-09 00:15:14

DS1 (now 14) never had one - always just wanted me.
DD liked soft toys indiscriminately until we bought her one particular bunny at age 3. She still won't sleep without it, at age 11.
DS2, again, transferred his affections but we never found 'the one' for him, in spite of him cuddling toys whenever we were in a toyshop, but rejecting them as being 'not cuddly enough.'
Lack of a TO was never a problem afair - except when I tried to put DS1 in to a gym crèche and the woman looked at me as if I was mad for not having one for him.
I don't see what you can do really - it was a matter of luck ime.

margobambino Wed 12-Aug-09 00:16:17

I am not that concerned but want to know whether it is normal to not to have. And wondering whether there are other children not having any.

margobambino Wed 12-Aug-09 00:20:19

Thanks OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper, it is good to know that there are others like mine
DS always wants me too, also I am still breastfeeding and cuddly enough with all these baby weight that I still haven't been able to lose.

mejon Wed 12-Aug-09 10:18:53

I'm not sure what a transition object is - presumably a particular toy that DC is attached to? If so, then DD who has just turned 3 has never been particularly attached to any one toy. She had a phase of being quite keen on having Makka Pakka or Iggle Piggle in bed with her and used to suck Makka Pakka's arm until it was threadbare so we did buy two of each 'just in case' but she wasn't especially upset if they weren't around. She's never had a 'special' blanket either. I've not worried about it - more happy really that we've never had to experience the trauma of losing a particular toy.

TheInvisibleHand Wed 12-Aug-09 10:55:40

DD never had one (now 27 months). As she got older (1 year, upwards) she formed temporary attachments to various things some suitable (cuddly dog) some not (toy stick men) that came to bed with her but these never lasted more than a couple of months. But she just isn't that bothered. DS (now 7/8months) has been very keen on a cuddly blanket since he was about 4 months old and it obviously comforts him. I think its just another case of different kids are different!

OmniDroid Wed 12-Aug-09 13:33:40

From the time he was about 4 months old I tried and tried to get DS to become attached to something (anything!) that wasn't me, just to give me a break. He never did.

I will always remember him with the cloth dolly that I made in desperation when he was about 6/7 months, after all commercial toys were rejected. As recommended for hard-to-settle children, I made it from my t-shirt so it would smell right/remind him of me. I stitched it all by hand. I made 2, in fact, so we had a spare, for when he was upset if it got lost / needed a wash.

He looked at it in horror, picked it up, slammed it around the cot a few times, then jettisoned it over the side. Every time I gave it to him, the same.

He's still not keen on toys generally at 3yo.

He'd rather kick a football/go scooting/run about. He's never been attached to 'things', so no TO for us.

Seona1973 Wed 12-Aug-09 14:13:31

DD (now 5) never had an attachment to anything in particular. DS (nearly 3) loves his 3 taggy blankets, his elephant and a little blue nosed koala soft toy.

CMOTdibbler Wed 12-Aug-09 14:17:41

Ds(3) has never had any sort of comfort object - be it dummy, muslin, blanket or toy. He does sometimes take a toy to bed, but isn't attached to anything in particular.

He is very confident and well attached to us though, so I was never worried about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now