Talk

Advanced search

Help me with dd's move from cot bed to single bed!

(5 Posts)
Freyfreysmum Tue 11-Aug-09 18:26:49

We are moving house this week and Friday will be our first night staying there. DD has seen her new bed, and helped us buy it, and we have also bought a Lindam bedguard.
F is 20 months old and a good sleeper (well til about 6am lol).
Any tips in general for getting her to erm sleep in it rather than just bouncy bouncy all night long?! We have a safety gate across her bedroom door.
Tips and experiences much appreciated x FFM

littlelozz Tue 11-Aug-09 19:07:53

We put DD into a big bed in Feb and she was just 19 months. We made the bed up and she helped a little and we also had the bed guard. Didnt make too much of a fuss the first night just got her ready for bed as usual and off she went. We had a brilliant first week - didnt even cry once. On the second week we had one bad night and since then she has loved going to bed. We gave her all the covers and teddys from her cot and I think that helped.

Good luck x x

littlelozz Tue 11-Aug-09 19:09:19

We put DD into a big bed in Feb and she was just 19 months. We made the bed up and she helped a little and we also had the bed guard. Didnt make too much of a fuss the first night just got her ready for bed as usual and off she went. We had a brilliant first week - didnt even cry once. On the second week we had one bad night and since then she has loved going to bed. We gave her all the covers and teddys from her cot and I think that helped.

Good luck x x

meandjoe Tue 11-Aug-09 19:38:02

I am not an expert but if you are moving house I would wait until she feel secure in the house and gets over any stress with regards to that first.

However I am sure there will be others who thing it's the ideal time to move her into a bed as everything will be new anyway. I am sure that much change in one go would deffinitely unsettle my ds but of course they are all SO different!

I think I'd just try and keep everything as much the same as possible when she moves into her big bed so if she has a certain blanket or teddy in her cot, keep it the same in the bed etc.

Other than that I think it's just a case of biting the bullet and being as consistant as possible. That said.... my ds is 2 and still in his cot bed so I will watch with interest for any tips!

Good luck with the move.

BarnMummy Tue 11-Aug-09 20:02:28

Although my DS has only just moved from cotbed to single bed at home, he went straight from cot to big bed at my parents' house, where he stayed 2 nights a week, with no trouble, although he took his cot duvet and pillow with him (and piles of teddies!).

I realised it was time for the change over at home when he came wandering into our room at 3am three nights in a row telling us that his bed was "too small"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now