Talk

Advanced search

baby yoga / baby signing / music with mummy - which would you recommend if any??

(16 Posts)
coffeechat Tue 11-Aug-09 09:45:30

want to sign up to a class but can only afford to do one - would be interested in other mums experiences of any of the above - thanks

dinkystinky Tue 11-Aug-09 09:52:16

How old is your baby? Really little ones love baby massage (I assume that is what baby yoga is) - if they're over 6 months they'll probably enjoy music with mummy and watching other babies there. I think for baby signing they need to be a bit older - maybe nearer 12 months.

Can you do trial classes of each before signing up to see which one your DC responds to best?

Also worth checking out your local sure start centre - they do lots of baby friendly activities especially rhyme/music sessions and sometimes even baby massage.

makedoandmend Tue 11-Aug-09 09:54:30

We're going to baby signing - and i think if we had a better teacher it would be better - but we're ploughing on!

Tbh - I think music with mummy courses are the ones that most babies I know seem to enjoy. It's just all a bit more informal and fun IMO

MrsTittleMouse Tue 11-Aug-09 09:58:26

As dinky said, you can often find music classes for free at libraries or children's centres, so I wouldn't bother paying. I didn't do signing, which turned out to be a good decision as DD1 is completely uncoordinated, but has always been way ahead of the curve with talking. So she could speak in proper sentences over a year ago, but has only just started signing with Justin.

I'd actually not do any of those, but instead do baby swimming. I've taken both of my DDs to swimming classes and we've all really enjoyed them - plus DD1 could swim over 2 metres completely unaided at 2 and a half.

dinkystinky Tue 11-Aug-09 10:30:40

Oh yes, Mrstittlemouse is right - baby swimming is brilliant. Took DS1 from 6 months and DS2 from 3 months and they both love it - mind you they're total waterbabies (and always have been) just like their dad!

cthea Tue 11-Aug-09 10:34:10

We did baby signing and both DDs loved it. DD2 for watching other babies (she was deaf at the time and hadn't had her cochlear implant yet, so she wasn't getting anything music-wise) and DD1 came along and she enjoyed it most. She was 3 and she'd been terrified of Justin till then. Now she loves signing. DD1 remembers virtually no signs so she didn't benefit in that way from the classes either. (She's talking now.)

cthea Tue 11-Aug-09 10:37:05

Swimming is good but not as sociable as baby yoga/music/signing. I think you need to be clear in your mind if you want to go for the child or for yourself. If it's for chatting etc then swimming is more difficult. Although even at the signing classes I went to people got on well and we were all chatty there but never did anything together outside classes, everyone just too busy to go elsewhere, pick up another child from school etc. I think I'm saying be realistic as to what you expect to gain from spending the money and time.

daisyj Tue 11-Aug-09 10:39:46

Have done baby yoga with DD from 10 weeks. She loves it. Loves watching the other babies, and there is also massage and singing as part of the class, so a good all-round one. She also loves swimming - she's now 18weeks, and she's been a few times, not to classes, but with other baby friends.

noramum Tue 11-Aug-09 14:17:12

Baby yoga is more for little ones, my teacher only takes them up to 4 months. But it was great.

We did baby signing. We started at 6 months and I think, looking back, it was too early. 9 month is better. We didn't stick with it as I found it difficult to do at home. It seems I speak to her more when she is sitting on my lap and then some signs are pointless.

We started doing music classes now (2 years), they are nice but with a younger one I think library sessions are totally enough.

Swimming is great as well.

I would strongly recommend to see if a course offers a free taster session. Depends where you are but in the London area a course of 8-10 weeks can easily be £70isch. A lot of money if you don't like the concept.

insywinsyspider Tue 11-Aug-09 22:30:50

how old is lo?
with ds1 I did baby massage when he was little, only a few months and loved it, only needed to go and learn it then could carry on at home.
Have 3 ds's now, only did music with ds1 when he was little, found a music and movement class near us which is better when bout 12months and they can interact more, when babies didn't get much out of it.
Loved baby signing, ds1 and 2 have done signing, they are 3 and 20months now and still sign - to each other which is very cute, hoping to take ds3 when he is bit older and agree 9months is better
Most classes let you do a trial first.

coffeechat Wed 12-Aug-09 08:24:02

sorry should have said - ds2 only 8 weeks at the moment but ds1 starts school in sept so wanted to find something for me and ds1

Onlyaphase Wed 12-Aug-09 08:27:32

I agree with cthea, it depends if you are doing it for you for social reasons or your DS's development. If I had to chose one class I'd go for the music one, babies love the music and props used.

Which class takes place next to a coffee shop? Much easier to suggest coffee and a chat afterwards if there is a convenient place nearby.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 12-Aug-09 08:29:03

My surestart centre did a free baby massage course so its worth finding out whats in your area first. Also parent and child swimming sessions aren't always 'classes' so you can go as and when.

sailorsgal Wed 12-Aug-09 09:00:45

If your baby is 8 weeks then I would do baby yoga or baby massage. I teach baby yoga and I take babies up till crawling. I also include some postnatal work so both mums and babies benefit. We usually hang out for tea and a chat afterwards so its very social too.

You may find your local surestart offers baby massage for a minimal fee, or ask your HV.

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 09:06:00

agree with whichever is cheapest / nearest / has the nicest cafe / nicest mums

accept it is 90% for you and only 10% for the baby

and def find out about free / cheap stuff - rhyme time at the lib, Sure Start stuff etc - have you a Children's Centre near you? They often have great things on and IME you get to meet really local mums (ie not ones who have driven halfway across the county for yoga, but the ones who live down the road and whose kids will end up at primary school with yours)

Notsochilledanymore Wed 12-Aug-09 10:53:54

Another vote for babyswimming here - really enjoyed it, DD loves it and its taught her a really good life skill - she's now 17 months and can kick across a width holding a woggle (insert smug & superproud mum emoticon here!), plus lots of opportunity for chat with other mums. She started at 12 weeks, and its always been a joyful part of my week.

Skipped baby music since mum&toddler groups all did a music bit as part of the session for the bargainous price of 50p or £1. And DD loved massage for about 6 weeks until she decided it was much more fun to throw all the oils around and squirm, so that was a bit of a waste of money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now