Talk

Advanced search

DS wants to paint his nails...

(16 Posts)
ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:40:04

Just interested in the MN verdict on this one. I would let him quite happily (currently he is also trying to grow his hair). He is just 6. DH has issue with the nails based on age, not gender.....or so he says. I think it is the school hols, so what's the problem? Opinions please? Do 6yo dd's paint their nails (I have little experience of girls)? Sure I was using that naff peel off polish by 6.....

ChasingSquirrels Mon 10-Aug-09 20:41:09

my ds2 (3) always seems to have his toe nails done, ds1 (6) says no way!

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 20:41:32

Werll, I wouldn't let DS paint his own nails.

But i would do it for him.

He is 6. My argument is that I cannot think of a valid reason to say "no", so I might as well ablige him.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 10-Aug-09 20:42:55

DS is 5 and has had his nails painted in the past. Not sure if he wants to at the moment.

DD is 3 and generally has painted nails.

I do the painting round here smile

Overmydeadbody Mon 10-Aug-09 20:42:56

I do persuade him to just have it on his toes though, rather than fingers.

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:45:59

Point taken about letting him do it himself Wonder if I did ds's toe nails, how long it would take dh to notice We always try our best to agree on parenting "issues", but I just feel a bit sad for ds on this one, like he should be allowed to be an individual?

forkhandles Mon 10-Aug-09 20:46:29

My DD1 is just 6 and can just about paint her own nails but tbh it's better if I do it for her and she doesn't mind. But DS (3.5) has toe nail varnish atm and as long as he aks for it I don't mind him wearing it, seems mean to say no because he's a boy but his sisters can.

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:47:10

Overmydeadbody - yes, I don't have a valid reason either, and feel dh is being a bit old fashioned with the age thing...

DottyDot Mon 10-Aug-09 20:48:31

you could let him have a go at his toes but say you'll do his fingers?

I would let him have them painted as it's the holidays, but then agree it's all removed before school.

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:48:40

Forkhandles, I have a sneaky suspicion it is a bit of a gender thing with dh, doesn't worry me in the least

luckylady74 Mon 10-Aug-09 20:50:32

the age thing becomes an issue when they're preteens and want to look older surely?

cockles Mon 10-Aug-09 20:51:19

Seems to be par for the course for the under-tens, let him do it and make the most of it. Is there any kids nail varnish, btw?

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:51:33

DoddyDot, yes my thoughts exactly re school. Don't think any of the children are allowed makeup. I just find it weird that dh and I disagree over this...seems like such a small thing but I feel strongly that ds should be encouraged/allowed to be his "own person" (obv. as long as it is legal etc )

forkhandles Mon 10-Aug-09 20:51:52

I think so too ETsmum, although DH doesn't say about the nail varnish I can remember the time he went nuts when he came home to find DS dressed up as Snow White and then announced that we needed to get some moreboys dressing up clothes!

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:55:50

Luckylady74, I would have thought so re the age. To me he is asking to do it coz mummy does it (doesn't help that I have just got a funky set that lets you decorate nails with little flowers etc)!

Cockles. I was guessing that there would still be kids nail varnish (haven't looked tbh). I think I would be happy for him just to wear a bit of mine (nail varnish being my makeup weakness). But if I can persuade dh, is kids polish "safer" or something?

ETsmum Mon 10-Aug-09 20:58:25

Lol @ Forkhandles dh/ds Dh didn't flinch at ds's wings when he was Angel Gabriel in the nativity tho, or for that matter at his pink tshirts...that's why I find haviong issue with nail varnish odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now