Talk

Advanced search

Erb's Palsy- does anyone have experience of this?

(8 Posts)
hongkongzoe Mon 10-Aug-09 18:57:16

My DS is 6 months old. His left arm turns inwards and he holds his hand in a waiter's tip' position and it seems a lot weaker than his right arm. If he is on his tummy he can't push himself up to crawl. As a newborn he was treated for torticollis and still seems to turn away from his left arm and look off into the distance rather than straight ahead. Someone suggested to me that it could be Erb's Palsy and having looked on the Erb's Palsy Group sight his symptoms seem to fit.

I have a GP appointment for tomorrow but am unsure of what questions to ask and who to push for a referral with.

He had a straight forward birth with no intervention. He was born at home in water, however I had a very quick second stage (about 3 mins) so could this cause birth trauma?

What is the long term prognosis for children with Erb's Palsy? What sort of treatment would he be looking at?

I know I am jumping the gun a bit here, but we have been concerned about this for a while and previously the GP was quite dismissive, but over the last few weeks as he has learnt to sit and has started BLW the weakness in his arm has become very pronounced, especially the inwards turn. So any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

sarah293 Mon 10-Aug-09 19:19:47

Message withdrawn

reikizen Mon 10-Aug-09 19:29:23

Yes, I'd go in and just ask for a referral, don't mess about with the GP (no offence to GPs!) Erbs palsy is usually as a result of damage to brachial plexus (sort of where head meets neck) and is usually as a result of too much traction on the head or a difficult delivery, but may be in this case as delivery was so quick! I think the prognosis is usually good and involves physio and an orthopaedic referral. Good luck

hongkongzoe Mon 10-Aug-09 20:21:17

Thanks Riven and reikizen for your sound advice. I just need to get it completely straight in my head what I want from my GP in order not to get fobbed off. Riven, am shock at your GP experience. I think being firm and outright is definitely the way forward.

hongkongzoe Tue 11-Aug-09 10:42:12

Bumping

spinspinsugar Tue 11-Aug-09 12:30:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hongkongzoe Tue 11-Aug-09 15:14:33

Thanks Spinspinsugar! Glad it went in both your Dcs.

Thought I had appointment today and it is tomorrow.

Embuggerance Tue 11-Aug-09 15:22:48

My ds was born with erb's palsy after cord wrenched his shoulder and arm during birth. Regular physio helped and within a couple of months he was fine. He is a very strong and active and athletic big boy now.

As i understand it, the danger is the brain stops sending signals to the affected part and over time, the affected limb may not develop muscles etc . But as your ds is still so young, I'm sure it can be helped with similar physio and excercise. But you do need to go and be very pushy with your gp/hv anyone who will listen. And quickly!
I AM very angry for you that no-one has picked up on this before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now