Talk

Advanced search

Baby doesn't like cuddles :(

(14 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Mon 10-Aug-09 11:59:20

Message withdrawn

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 10-Aug-09 12:29:25

Can't really help with the cuddles but there will defo be times when she is completly exhausted and you know she needs to/wants to sleep but just can't cause she's over tired, just one of those things you have to try and prevent from getting to that stage.

hth

DrCosyTiger Mon 10-Aug-09 12:48:47

Hi Cyradis,

My DD is 20 weeks too and is not a big fan of cuddles either. My situation is slightly complicated by her being in a harness to correct a hip problem but I don't think this is the reason. Like you, she'll sit happily on my lap or lie on the feeding cushion and she smiles and laughs when we play games (which have to be done lying down on the floor due to harness). But she's not really into being cuddled as such. When she's tired, whether in daytime or at night, cuddling definitely does not help and she never falls asleep in my arms unless totally over tired and exhausted. I went through a stage of being really disappointed that my cuddles don't comfort her or soothe her but now I've kind of come to accept it. I suspect cuddles might just be something she grows to enjoy more over time. So for now, I try and pop her down for daytime naps in the cot before we reach the over tired stage (doesn't always work but we try!) and feed her to sleep at night (bad, I know). So you're definitely not alone in this.

EyeballsintheSky Mon 10-Aug-09 12:50:49

DD was like this and then overnight she suddenly changed and was vey cuddly. Think she was about 7 then. Now of course, at 19 months she's learnt that cuddles are nice for mummies and can therefore be withdrawn for a laugh hmm

crumpet Mon 10-Aug-09 12:51:46

Both mine were the same - hated being cradled, but were fine if held upright over the shoulder, and particularly preferred it if I was standing up. I wasn't bothered by it, as it was clearly their preference. Hope this helps - fwiw they did used to go to sleep on my shoulder if tired.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 12:53:00

Hi there
My DD1 was a very unsnuggly baby, she just didn't want/need cuddles.
I found the old baby whisperer technique worked quite well, gently patting her tum and making a soothing shushing noise would help to get her off to sleep. Picking her up and bouncing her around/cuddling her etc was not her thing at all.
Sounds like you're BF, you could feed her to sleep in this type of situation?

HTH smile

CyradisTheSeer Mon 10-Aug-09 12:58:15

Message withdrawn

EyeballsintheSky Mon 10-Aug-09 13:07:00

7 months I meant blush

bruffin Mon 10-Aug-09 13:15:16

DD was the same as a baby, she is just not a cuddly person and also was more interested in what her big brother was upto.

She had to be in her cot to go to sleep and if was in bed with us would get more and more wriggly and upset until she was but in her cot and would go off straight away.

She was a very easy baby and so content and very rarely cried

Nicadooby Mon 10-Aug-09 13:27:44

Hi there,

My DS is 14 months old and has only just started to enjoy a short cuddle over the last 2 months, but this was also because he was poorly with an ear infection and all he wanted was to be held which is very unlike him.

I think the reason he isn't into cuddles is because when he was little i didn't like him being cuddled to sleep and i never realy held him when he slept as i didn't want him getting used to being cuddled to sleep all the time, so i kind of had the opposite effect IYKWIM.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 16:05:51

At 2.1 my DD shouts "no" and runs off laughing if I ask for a kiss or a cuddle. I have to chase her and catch her and forcibly cuddle her which she thinks is hilarious hmm

She is very nice though and I like to think she is fond of me really...

andyourmama2 Mon 17-Aug-09 14:03:52

"Sometimes i can get a quick snuggle in as long as she's facing over my shoulder, but she wont lie in my arms, be cuddled to sleep..etc.. she gets really stressy and fights me and just cries harder no matter what i do."
Are you trying to cradle her right after a feed? Could it possibly be the cradling position what she doesn't like, rather than the cuddle in itself?
My DS is 3mo and I find he doesn't particularly like being cradled after a feed and he prefers me to stand up and hold him over my shoulder. If I don't do it pretty quick he tends to vomit or regurgitate some of his feed.
I'd try to ease the pressure off her stomach. It may do the trick.

meandjoe Mon 17-Aug-09 15:27:08

My ds was like that, just like crumpet said he only wanted to be held on my shoulder while I stood up. When he was really young I had to walk around with him as he just needed to be in motion all the time for some unknown reason! He ould never be cradled unless feeding. I was really worried.

He's 2 now and still not really cuddley but he is just so busy and active that I assume he just doesn't have time for cuddles unless he's hurt himself or ill. He does come for lots of quick hugs and kisses but never wants to just sit and cuddle like some toddlers do.

They all hever their preferences, try not to worry.

victoriascrumptious Mon 17-Aug-09 17:22:57

Mine is the same.

It's very warm at the moment though-could she be too hot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now