Talk

Advanced search

10yr ds developed a twitch anyone any experience of this ?

(8 Posts)
elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 17:08:36

well just as the title says really , our 10yr old ds has developed a kind of twitch , he is not even aware he is doing it anymore & when i ask him to stop he says he cant help it hmm
any ideas to help would be great
thanks ,

popsocks Sun 09-Aug-09 18:20:26

no advice, but wanted to say my 6 year old dd has developed a twitch aswell. she says her friend does it, so why shouldnt she. i have asked her to stop and she says she is unaware she is doing it. i will be watching this thread for any ideas aswell. im hoping she will grow out of it.

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 18:46:21

guess its just us so blush
yep my ds says the same " he does not know he is doing it " i was just wondering should i take him to the gp or is it just a phase ,dh reckons its just a bad habit but I'm not so sure

QOD Sun 09-Aug-09 18:51:58

Oh you have my sympathy! My dd did this around age 8 and I found this on the nhs direct site - I was directed to it myself at that time!
She has mostly stopped it now...

"Types of tic
Tics can be classified into three categories according to the type of tic and how long the person has had it for. The three categories of tics are described below.

Transient tic disorders

Transient tic disorders occur when a person has a motor tic, a vocal tic or both almost every day for at least four weeks, but not for more than a year.

Transient motor tics, such as blinking or snapping the fingers, usually only affect one muscle group.

Transient tics are very common, with about one in 10 children developing one or more tics during their school years. Transient tics are not harmful. They do not usually require treatment and usually disappear as the child gets older.

How common are tics?
Tics are more common in boys than in girls.

Transient tic disorders are very common. Many children develop them while they are at school, usually from seven to nine years of age."

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 19:00:27

wow QOD i did not realise tics were that common in children , my ds's 1 is very strange he kind of stretches his jaw sideways & sighs haa while doing it hmm
but he does this every few minutes throughout the day , we have tried to make him aware when he does it but he does not even realise he's doing most of the time . wonder what causes these things in children

QOD Sun 09-Aug-09 19:03:19

Stress? Who knows, my dd is quite an anxious kid - one of her friends, and she is 10 now, has the most HORRIFIC twitch thing going on now, she's seen a neurologist as it includes her shoulders, eyes, hands, nose, nmouth..... you mention it, it;s joining in!
We think with her, its the build up to the Kent test. Mum & Dad are both teachers...

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 19:17:15

poor kid shock mmm i thought it might be stress related myself , dh is getting bullied . its great that your dd has stopped now , hopefully our ds will stop this soon as it is worrying me .

popsocks Sun 09-Aug-09 21:09:15

oh that sounds like my dd, she stretches her neck out first then her jaw. i was thinking of taking her to the doctors but will wait and see. im going to look up tics now and see what advice is being given. thanks QOD for your reply and elmofan, i hope your ds ok xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now