Talk

Advanced search

So.... I am clueless. How do you go out and about whn potty training?

(88 Posts)
meandjoe Sat 08-Aug-09 15:01:36

Also posted in potty training section

DS is 2 and seems to be quite happy using the potty around the house. Runs to it himself saying 'POTTY!!!!' and all is going well. He's loving the praise!

My main question is how the heck do you manage to go anywhere, even a trip to the park or to grandparents house etc? Do you have to take the potty with you?? Or do you just use nappies and hope they don't need to go?? Or just use normal toilet (I have a feeling ds would find this a bit daunting as he's only ever used a potty).

My friend just used to put her ds is nappies whenever she went anywhere but surelythis sends mixed mssages with regards to using potty and telling people when they need to go etc. I really have no idea so please share your experiences! Ta

pigletmania Sat 08-Aug-09 15:39:19

IMO and what Ive heard that once you put your lo in big girls/boys pants you must continue even when out as it can confuse them. It is fine that you have a little boy, if he needs to go find a bush or somewhere private, also you can invest in a portable potty if he needs a number 2 when out. I know how easy it is just to put them in nappies when out and on a long journey i propbably will just in case.

OmniDroid Sat 08-Aug-09 16:01:47

I just kept DS in pants, once we had started it seemed daft to go back to nappies.

I got DS to wee into a plastic bottle when we were out - just a standard water bottle. Place willy in bottle, wee, screw cap back on, job done. Quite handy if caught, say, in the town centre or in a shop...

We were lucky that we never got caught short with poos, as he loathed the Potette portable potty from the moment he set eyes on it.

Don't do what I did - thought that it wouldn't stop me doing anythign and went shopping with a potty in a carrier bag over the pushchair handle. I was half naked in a changing room in Dorothy Perkins when DD demanded she needed a wee now. I wasn't at all bothered and put her on the potty and then after she filled it stared at it in horror. WTF was I going to do with a potty full of piss in Dorothy Perkins?

My advice is stay at home. grin

HuffySpice Sat 08-Aug-09 17:10:43

PLEASE don't do what a number of my friends did; take a potty everywhere with you and happily put your child on the potty wherever you happen to be, in a cafe, a restaurant, the middle of town, outside a school...

If they can't make it to the nearest loo they're not ready yet.

bubblagirl Sat 08-Aug-09 17:15:46

we had folding potty from boots and it has carrier bags with like a huge sanitary towel in it so you could just tie bag up after use and dispose of it

learning to control bladder comes as they get bit older so having the potty until learning to control bladder was very helpful for when out and about

meandjoe Sat 08-Aug-09 17:30:45

Well we decided to go out and go for an ice cream. I took the potty with us and left ds in pants. Thankfully he didn't need to go until we got back!

lizziemun Sat 08-Aug-09 17:47:12

I got one these for out and about.

jeminthepantry Sat 08-Aug-09 17:50:06

HuffySpice- I agree- makes me want to boak when people whip potty's out...yeah, I know, I know, I could get flamed, but I managed not to do it with all my 3....

I think you just have to plan carefully for a few weeks- if they are ready, it shpouldn't be any longer...

<prepares to get grilled>

Just remember, it's a short phase, like everything else, it passes...

pigletmania Sat 08-Aug-09 18:44:36

It does take time when they learn to control their bladders,does not mean that they are not ready to potty train just will come with time, there will be accidents but its just part and pracel of it. I would not be happy whipping out a potty anywhere, if we are out and about a bush or somewhere private. Or if we are out shopping the nearest toilet and put the potty in there.

JimJammum Sat 08-Aug-09 21:57:36

I am there and doing it. Don't put them in pull-ups or nappies - once you commit to doing it, then put them in pants and live with the mess and washing. Invest in smarties, stickers and whatever else rewards and praises. Get many bottles of wine in the fridge 'cos after a disastrous day you'll need it.
Disagree with above....I am taking potty to park & soft play with me at the mo, as I'm not sure, when he tells me he needs a wee, how long I've got. Home doesn't teach you that. I would rather whip out a potty in the corner of the park than have a child standing there, legs akimbo, as the wet patch spreads down his legs. Cafe/Restaurant different as the toilets are closeby. Some parks have loos 20 mins walk away.....He won't sit on the big toilet, so need to be equipped.
Patience, patience, patience and it might get worse before it gets better. Don't stress about poos on potty - if he is anxious about it he will hold it in and make life worse for both of you. Currently ds refuses to poo on potty so I leave him in a pull up for a couple of hours each morning to allow him chance to do it in nappy if he prefers.

plonker Sat 08-Aug-09 23:46:43

I use a potette (that lizziemun linked to) for my dd.

Invaluable for when dd needs to go and we're in the car or somewhere that doesn't have a toilet nearby.

Am sad that me putting dd on her travel potty would make other mums boak. Luckily for me I guess, whenever anyone has seen dd using her travel potty the only comments that I've had have been from other mums who say they remember 'those' days well smile

Oh, and dd most certainly is ready for potty training as she practically trained herself - unfortunately, she is 2.1 and hasn't got the bladder control to wait 30 minutes whilst we walk back from the park ...

IDreamOfJeannie Sun 09-Aug-09 00:10:57

Agree with JimJammum and plonker.

DD is just in her first week of potty training. She's wearing pants all the time now, as I think putting her back into a nappy / pull-ups will confuse her. We have been out a few times - to the supermarket, park and friends houses. I take the potty and DD will happily use it out and about (we managed to make it to a public loo, but she won't use a toilet yet so just put potty on the floor).

I have some anti-bacterial wipes to clean the potty afterwards, and take spare clothes and baby wipes with us in case of an accident. Also have a towel for her to sit on in car seat / buggy in case she has an accident.

I wouldn't dream of taking her on a massive shopping trip or long journey ATM as that would be asking to much of her. But this stage won't be forever, hopefully

Eve4Walle Sun 09-Aug-09 13:54:44

Buy a Pottette. They are a godsend because the liners absorb all the wee, then you tie a handle in the little bag and throw it away like a nappy sack.

DD used this everywhere all the time - even outside John Lewis one day when she was really desperate during potty training.

Liners are expensive - I used to use a large, thick old style sanitary towel stuck to the bottom of a nappy bag, which does the job just as well IMO.

I've just got mine out again in readiness for potty training DS.

WaitingForVino Sun 09-Aug-09 14:01:05

...just one word of caution against the Pottette. My DS was too big for it from age 2. Nothing quite like the scene of trying to stuff his willy into it while he tries valiantly to wait to let go...oh dear...yes it was bad.

anyway - pottettes are petite. You have been warned!!

WaitingForVino Sun 09-Aug-09 14:02:36

instead we took a potty out with us - the biggest one we could find (Baby Bjorn "chair"). It was difficult to tote around and sorry we did occasionally whip it out in a public place but TBH I don't think it's any worse than letting a boy wee against a tree in an open space - perhaps even preferable -

it's a short phase till they can hold it longer. good luck!

PuppyMonkey Sun 09-Aug-09 14:12:42

Ooh eck. Have been potty training dd2 for the last week and reading this thread is stressing me out. grin We're doing it ALL wrong (pull-ups, nappies when we're out and about) but hey ho!!! I'm just glad she's managing to do the odd wee in her potty. I am so blinkered. sad grin

"Boaking" at toddlers poo-ing in their potties in odd places is a bit hmm for those of you saying that. Shame on you. As long as no-one is asking YOU to clear it up, what's the bleddy problem?

JustWannaSay Sun 09-Aug-09 14:22:58

Another vote for a pottette. They are brilliant.

I don't agree that if the child can't hold it long enough to get to a loo, they are not ready. That is something they have to learn to do. Thinking ahead and telling you they need the loo in good time is all part of the potty training process.

I take a pottette everywhere, so if we are caught short we can use it and my DD is not then put off by having an accident because there was not a toilet nearby. It makes her more confident and she is going great guns with it. After about a month, she is now able to make it to the loo, so haven't used the pottette for ages, but you are not always within easy reach of one, so it is good to have for emergencies until she is a bit older.

littleducks Sun 09-Aug-09 14:27:16

Toddlers pooing in potties in corners is def not on, i would say that as a general rule they can poo where dogs can and it be ok if picked up (so quiet corner in park is fine, not at the bottom of the slide! but the middle of m and s is not!)

I put dd in washable training pants if going anywhere that i was worried about but they were still 'pants' to her, we went child friendly places like playgroup but i did watch her like a hawk that week!

We took a potty in the car incase she needed whilst we were driving but never out and about on the buggy. I took her before we left the house to go to playgroup or whatever, i wouldnt have whipped out a potty on the bus!

PuppyMonkey Sun 09-Aug-09 14:27:51

So, re the potette, if you are driving along in the car and they suddenly need to go... are you supposed to just stop and whip out the potette? We had a long journey, for instance, to Yorkshire the other day and just put her in a nappy. Should I have just kept her in pants and used a potette?

ps Are they available in Boots etc or just online?

littleducks Sun 09-Aug-09 14:28:20

Apols i seem to have gone exclamation mark mad

JustWannaSay Sun 09-Aug-09 14:30:11

Re the problem some people seem to have with a child using a pottette in a public place, my theory is that the wee or poo is no more likely to jump into your face or onto your plate if they do it in a potty as it is if they do it in a nappy, and nobody "boaks" hmm when a baby is wearing a nappy at the table next to them in a cafe, do they? And if anyone ever says anything to me about it, I shall tell them such.

I always make sure DD is out of sight when she uses it anyway, for her own dignity more than for the benefit of the general public, but to me it is no worse than holding a kid up against a tree with their pants down, or having them squat in a little hole you've dug on the beach - we all did that when we were little! At least with a pottette you are disposing of it hygienically!

JustWannaSay Sun 09-Aug-09 14:32:12

Mothercare sell them. But beware, the brand name (pottette I think) costs twice as much as the mothercare own brand.

JustWannaSay Sun 09-Aug-09 14:33:52

If you're at someone's house, though, I would use a normal potty or perch over the toilet if your DC will do that, as the pottette bags are expensive.

PuppyMonkey Sun 09-Aug-09 14:39:07

Thanks JustWannaSay! Might give them a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now